A few days ago we wrote about Variscite’s NXP i.MX 8M Plus-powered AI systems-on-modules and devkits, and now it’s TechNexion’s turn to introduce its own SoM’s for artificial intelligence applications.
Just like variscite, the company has two variants with EDM-G-IMX8M-PLUS following the EDM standard with a 260-pin edge connector, and AXON-E-IMX8M-PLUS part of the AXON family with board-to-board connectors better suited to vibration-prone applications.
Besides the form factor and different default storage capacities, both SoM’s share the same specifications:
- SoC – NXP i.MX8M Plus quad-core Cortex-A53 processor @ up to 1.8 GHz with Cortex-M7 real-time core @ 400 MHz, Vivante GC520L 2D GPU, Vivante GC7000UL 3D GPU, 1080p60 hardware decoder (HEVC, H.264, VP9, and
VP8) and encode (H.265/H.264), and 2.3 TOPS NPU
- System Memory – Up to 8 GB LPDDR4
- AXON-E-IMX8M-PLUS – 32 GB eMMC flash by default
- EDM-G-IMX8M-PLUS – 16 GB eMMC flash by default
- Networking Chips
- Qualcomm Atheros AR8035 Gigabit Ethernet transceiver
- Optional Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth chipset + MHF4 antenna connector
- 260-pin EDM Type G connector (EDM-G-IMX8M-PLUS) or 4x 80-pin Hirose board-to-board connectors (AXON-E-IMX8M-PLUS) with
- Display I/F – HDMI, dual-channel LVDS, MIPI DSI
- Camera I/F – 4-lane dual MIPI CSI interface
- Audio – 2-channel I²S
- Networking – Gigabit Ethernet
- USB and USB OTG interfaces
- SDIO, CAN, UART, SPI, I²C, PWM, GPIO
- Debug Interface – JTAG via through holes (EDM-G-IMX8M-PLUS only)
- Power Supply
- Supply Voltage – 5V DC +/-5%
- PMIC – NXP PCA9450
- Dimensions –
- Weight – 8 grams
- Temperature Range – Commercial: 0° to +60° C; industrial: -40° to +85° C
- Relative Humidity – 10 to 90 %
- MTBF – >100,000 Hours
- Shock – 15G half-sine 11 ms duration
- Vibration – 1 Grms random 5-500Hz hr/axis
- Certification and Compliance
- USA – FCC Part 15 B, FCC ID: 2AKZA-QCA9377
- Canada – IC: 22364-QCA9377
- European Union – EN 55032 / EN 55024, EN 300 328 v2.1.1,EN 301 893 v2.1.1
- Japan – TELEC: 201-180629
- Australia/New Zealand – RCM
- Bluetooth Logo – QDID 150839 (Bluetooth 4.2)
- RoHS / REACH directives
The company offers standard support for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Linux-built Yocto Project, and Android 10, as well as extended support for FreeRTOS. If it feels like you’ve seen EDM-G-IMX8M-PLUS module before it’s because it should be the one found in the upcoming Wandboard 8MPLUS SBC.
There’s will be other development kits based on existing AXON/EDM baseboards including AXON-PI Raspberry Pi-like starter board, or the full-featured AXON-WIZARD and EDM-WIZARD evaluation boards. Marcel vandenHeuvel, TechNexion’s CEO, gives an overview of the AXON i.MX8M Plus modules and baseboard, and shows a Yocto 3.0 Linux demo with dual displays.
The company did not provide availability information, and while the board is listed on their online store the price is shown as $0.00 for now… More details may be found on the respective product pages for the AXON and EDM modules.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.