M5Stack Core2 is a neatly packed ESP32 IoT development kit with a 2-inch touchscreen display, motion sensor, a microphone., and a built-in battery that was launched last September.
The hardware has been selected by Amazon Web Services and gone through some small modifications including the addition of a secure element, and a yellow paint job giving birth the the “AWS IoT EduKit” hardware and software solution designed to “learn how to build IoT applications using AWS services through a prescriptive learning program”.
M5Stack Core2 for AWS IoT EduKit specifications are pretty similar, but with a few tweaks here and there:
- SoC – Espressif ESP32-D0WDQ6-V3 dual-core Xtensa LX6 processor clocked at up to 240MHz with 520KB SRAM, Wi-Fi, and dual-mode Bluetooth connectivity
- External Memory – 8MB PSRAM
- Storage – 16MB flash storage, MicroSD card slot up to 16GB
- Display – 2-inch IPS LCD screen with 320×240 resolution (ILI9342C driver), and touchscreen support (via FT6336U controller)
- Audio – Built-in 1W speaker, SPM1423 PDM microphone, I2S codec, and power amplifier
- Antenna – 2.4GHz 3D antenna
- USB – 1x USB Type-C port for power and programming via CP2104 chip
- Sensors – 6-axis IMU (MPU6886)
- Expansion – 1x Grove connector with I2C, GPIO and UART, M-Bus socket
- Security – ATECC608A Trust&GO secure element
- Misc – Power LED, power button, reset button, 3x touch buttons, vibration motor, RTC, 10x RGB LEDs
- Power Supply
- Input Voltage – 5V @ 500mA
- AXP192 PMU
- SY7088 DC-DC Boost
- 500 mAh/3.7V Lithium Battery
- Dimensions – 54 x 54 x 24 mm (Plastic case)
- Weight – 101 grams
- Temperature Range – 0°C to 40°C
AWS IoT Edukit is a bit thicker and heavier due to the larger battery and the block for the secure element. Just like M5Stack Core2, AWS IoT Edukit works with Arduino, MicroPython, and UIFlow, but unsurprisingly adds support for (Amazon) FreeRTOS and is validated through AWS Device Qualification Program. You’ll find sample code and other resources to get started on the official product page or Github.
M5Stack Core2 for AWS IoT EduKit ships with the M5GO Bottom2 for AWS that adds the secure elements and RGB LEDs, a 50cm USB Type-C cable, and a hex wrench.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|