Color eReaders and color e-Ink smartphones have started to show up last year with products such as Onyx Boox Poke2 Color, PocketBook Color, or Hisense A7 CC with displays ranging from 6-inch to 6.7-inch in size.
If you like the idea of having a color eReader, but would prefer a (slightly) large display, PocketBook InkPad Color may be an interesting option with the eReader featuring a 7.8-inch Kaleido e-Ink display with 4096 colors.
PocketBook InkPad Color specifications:
- Processor – Unnamed dual-core processor @ 1 GHz (probably Allwinner B288 dual-core Arm Cortex-A7 processor)
- System Memory – 1GB RAM
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash, and microSD card reader up to 32GB
- Display – 7.8 inch E-Ink Kaleido display with 1872 x 1404 (16 shades of grey – 300 ppi) or 624 x 468 (color – 100 ppi) resolution, capacitive touch, and front-light
- Connectivity – WiFi 4 and Bluetooth (e.g. for audio)
- USB – USB Type-C
- Sensor – G-sensor, cover sensor
- Battery – 2900 mAh
- Dimensions – 195 x 136.5 x 8mm (Plastic body)
- Weight – 225 grams
The 7.8-inch color eReader ships with a USB Type-C cable, USB Type-C audio adapter, quick start guide, and warranty obligations leaflet. The software is the same as for the 6-inch PocketBook Color eReader with a Linux-based OS, support for 16 languages, text-to-speech, ABBYY Lingvo dictionaries (24 languages), Webster English <-> German dictionary, and more.
The eReader supports the following file types:
- E-book (no conversion needed) – ACSM, CBR, CBZ, CHM, DJVU, DOC, DOCX, EPUB, EPUB(DRM), FB2, FB2.ZIP, HTM, HTML, MOBI, PDF, PDF (DRM), PRC, RTF, TXT
- Image – JPEG, BMP, PNG, TIFF
- Audio – MP3, OGG
- Audiobook – M4A, M4B, OGG, OGG.ZIP, MP3, MP3.ZIP
PocketBook InkPad Color can be purchased on Amazon or Newegg for $329 and up. If you live in Russia, it’s sold directly on Pocketbook.ru, while people living in China may find easier to purchase another 7.8-inch color eReader named Bigme S3 Coloron JD.com.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.