Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 is an update to last year’s Ugoos AM6 Plus Android 9.0 TV box with Dolby Vision support through Amlogic S922X-J hexa-core processor. What has changed exactly? A WiFi 6 & Bluetooth 5.0 LE module replaces the WiFi 5 & Bluetooth 5.0 LE module used on the previous model.
The new WiFi 6 TV box still comes with 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC flash, Gigabit Ethernet, 4K video support through an HDMI 2.1 port, and VPU capable of 4Kp60 H.265, H.264, and VP9 video decoding.
- SoC – Amlogic S922X-J hexa-core processor with 4x Arm Cortex-A73 cores @ up to 2.2 GHz, 2x ARM Cortex-A53 cores, and an Arm Mali G52 MP6 GPU
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash, MicroSD card slot up to 32GB
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 up to 4K @ 60fps with HDCP2.2 support, HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision HDR
- Audio – Optical S/PDIF, AUX-IN port, digital audio output via HDMI, analog stereo audio via AV port; HDMI audio passthrough up to 8 channels
- Video Codecs
- VP9 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- H.265 HEVCMP-10 @ L5.1 up to 4K*2K @ 60fps
- H.264 AVC HP @ L5.1 up to 4K*2K @ 60fps
- H.264 MVC up to 1080p60
- MPEG-4 ASP @ L5 up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496)
- WMV/VC-1 5P/MP/AP up to 1080p60
- AVS-P16(AVS+)/AVS-P2 jiZhun Profile up to 1080p60
- MPEG-2 MP/HL up to 1080p60 (ISO-13818)
- MPEG-1 MP/HL up to 1080p60 (ISO-11172)
- Realvideo 8/9/10 up to 1080p
- WebM up to VGA
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax 2×2 MIMO WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 LE
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 ports, 1x USB 3.0 port
- Misc – Power button and LED; maskROM and recovery pinholes
- Power Supply – DC 12V/2A via power barrel jack
- Dimensions – 117 x 117 x 18.5mm
- Weight – 300 grams
- Temperature Range – 0 to 60°C
Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 TV box still runs Android 9.0 operating system with Google Play, and custom Ugoos settings with SAMBA server, root options, etc… Based on the information on the product page, the latest firmware for all AM6 TV boxes was released on June 2, 2021, so they keep updating it.
It’s one of the rare devices with Amlogic S922X-J, sometimes written as S922XJ, with the “-J” suffix meaning Dolby Vision & Dolby Audio licenses are included. But somehow Ugoos does not promote Dolby at all, so maybe they reserve their option to switch to S922X depending on supply availability. AFAICS Ugoos AM6B Plus is just the same device as Ugoos AM6 Plus, except for the WiFi 6 module which could help avoid buffering while streaming 4K HDR videos.
Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 can be purchased for $154 on Aliexpress with a standard IR remote control, power supply, two WiFi antennas, and an HDMI cable, but there are also bundles with a voice-enabled remote control, an air mouse, or a wireless keyboard. If your only goal is to play playback video an Octa-core Cortex-A73/A53 processor is a bit over the top, and another WiFi 6 TV box is being worked on with Ugoos AM7 equipped with an Amlogic S905X4 processor, 4GB RAM, and 32GB storage. It’s already available for pre-orders but only for bulk purchases.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
4 Replies to “Ugoos AM6B Plus 2021 TV box adds WiFi 6 connectivity”
Wow, this Android TV is getting dangerously near the $200 price range. For a little more I can buy a x86 decent J4125 mini pc with double the RAM and 4x more eMMC 🙁
The AM7 makes more sense given that it will support AV1 and I assume will be cheaper. This looks like a nice product though.
I was considering that the price was still decent for the specs even though being in the high range.
I just don’t get it, nothing has drastically come out of the tv box market in recent years and prices keep going up, if you want to get into the $200 price point range you might as well get an Nvidia Shield TV pro box, and you’ll be assured they will keep it updated too.