Espressif Systems has finally launched the ESP32-C6 WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0 LE, and 802.15.4 IoT microcontroller by making the ESP32-C6-WROOM-1 module available on Aliexpress for $14.25 for a pack of 5 modules as well as the ESP32-C6-DevKitC-1 development board that’s out of stock on the official store at the time of writing. but somehow listed in another store for $16.22 plus shipping.
Besides the availability announcement, another surprise is the 802.15.4 radio for Zigbee and Thread that was not part of the original ESP32-C6 announcement in April 2021. The ESP32-C6-DevKitC-1 development board comes with a module with 8MB flash, exposes most of the I/O’s from the ESP32-C3, and comes with two USB-C ports, two buttons, and an RGB LED.
- Wireless module – ESP32-C6-WROOM-1 with
- ESP32-C6 single-core 32-bit RISC-V clocked up to 160 MHz 320KB ROM, 512KB SRAM, low-power RISC-V core @ up to 20 MHz
- Wireless – 2.4 GHz WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0 LE, 802.15.4 radio for Zigbee 3.0 and Thread. Matter compatible. PCB antenna
- 8MB SPI flash
- USB – 1x USB Type-C host port, 1x USB Type-C port via UART console
- I/Os – 2x 16-pin headers with GPIO, UART, SPI, ADC, SDIO, USB, I2S, etc…
- Misc – Reset and BOOT buttons, RGB LED, J5 header/jumper for current measurement
- Power Supply (mutually exclusive options)
- 5V via USB-UART port (recommended)
- 5V and GND pin headers
- 3V3 and GND pin headers
- Dimensions – 51.8 x ~20 mm
If you can’t purchase an ESP32-C6 module or board just yet due to limited supplies, don’t despair as more are coming very soon as Espressif tells us to expect more products on Adafruit, Akizuki, Digikey, and Mouser.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.