Banana Pi BPI-6202 “embedded single board computer” features the industrial-grade Allwinner A40i quad-core Cortex-A7 processor with industrial temperature range and long life cycle, 2GB DDR3, 8GB eMMC flash, M.2 SATA slot, and more.
That’s the second Allwinner A40i board from Banana Pi since the company launched the Banana Pi BPI-M2 Ultra SBC last year, but the new embedded SBC looks to be better suited for industrial applications with features such as dual Ethernet, an RS485 + RS232 terminal block, 24V DC input, and a -40 to +60°C operating temperature range.
Banana Pi BPI-6202 specifications:
- SoC – Allwinner A40i quad-core Arm Cortex-A7 processor @ 1.20 GHz with Arm Mali-400MP2 GPU, 1080p60 H.264, MPEG-4, MPEG-1/2 video decoder, H.264 1080p45 video encoder
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot, M.2 Key-B 2242 socket for SATA SSD
- Video & audio output – HDMI 1.4 port up to 1080p60
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port (RTL8211E transceiver)
- 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port (IP101GRI transceiver)
- Wi-Fi 4 module with uFL antenna connector
- Optional 4G/5G cellular via M.2 Key-B module + Nano SIM card slot
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, internal USB OTG port
- Serial – 2x isolated RS485 interfaces and 1x isolated RS232 (SP3222E) interface via terminal block
- Expansion – 20-pin GPIO header
- HW Security
- Software license authorization encryption chip (SMEC98SP)
- Special encryption chip for (China) State Grid communication (SC1161Y)
- Misc – RFD button; 3x LEDs, CR1220 battery socket for RTC
- Power Supply – 24V DC via 3-pin connector; 24V/5V DC module (15W), AXP221s PMIC
- Dimensions – 140 x 100 mm
- Temperature Range – -40 to +60°C
The company says the BPI-6202 runs Ubuntu Mate but does not provide any download link at this time. They also seem to provide some specific software (hence the encryption chip for the software license) with a communication protocol library that supports over 300 protocols including MQTT, BACNET, OPC-UA, IEC 60870-5-101/103/104, CDT, SPABUS, MODBUS, etc… and as well PLC connection to Siemens/AB/Schneider/Mitsubishi hardware. The wiki does not make that very clear as all they really share is a Linux 5.4 BSP hosted on GitHub.
The company can also provide a complete industrial PC with the Allwinner A40i SBC housed in a metal enclosure that can also support DIN Rail mounting.
Banana Pi sells the BPI-6202 SBC for about $104 plus shipping on Aliexpress, but the enclosure is not offered even as an option…
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.