Home > Android, Telechips TCC89XX > How To Root CX-01 Android mini PC

How To Root CX-01 Android mini PC

CX-01 is a cool low cost Android mini PC (as low as $40), but unlike many other Chinese Android device it is not rooted.

Here are the instructions to root it:

1. Download Unlock Root http://www.unlockroot.com/. NB: The download link does not appear to work right now, but the filename is unlockroot23.exe, so here are some alternative untested download links.
  2. Find Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf in the directory where you install Unlockroot
  3. Open the file in a text editor, and add the following lines:
    • For Win 7 (64-bit):
      [Google.NTamd64] 64-bit]
      ;TCC8920
      %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
      %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
    • For WinXP (32-bit):
      [Google.NTx86]
      ;TCC8920
      %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
      %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
  4. Connect CX-01 to your PC via USB, it should then detect your new device. If it doesn’t simply press “fn” key on CX-01 TV Stick.
  5. Select the driver that you edited in Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf
  6. Once the driver is installed, run unlockroot
  7. Press ROOT, then reroot device.
  8. Reboot CX-01 mini PC
  9. Done!

Thanks to Myxa78.

1. Klaus
    August 1st, 2012 at 17:52 | #1

Maybe you could also add Myxa78s instruction to delete the preinstalled apps, for noobs like me :D

2. myxa78
    August 1st, 2012 at 18:16 | #2

@ Klaus
    1.you need root first!
    2. install App Remover https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.apps.appremover&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jdXJ2ZWZpc2guYXBwcy5hcHByZW1vdmVyIl0.
    3.remove application
    but if you don’t know what is the application, better don’t uninstall it
    you can brick your device ( i have firmware for reflash device, but i promise to panda, that i don’t share it via internet)

3. jamesbond
    August 1st, 2012 at 19:14 | #3

I’m not sure why you need to do this. I got mine already rooted – all I need to do is run “adb root” followed by “adb shell” and I’ve got root shell (I’m running Linux so I don’t need to meddle with that INF silliness), and from there I can install anything I need (supposedly – I haven’t done it myself).

I’m however is very interested to know how to un-brick the device if needed; that’s the only thing stopping me from trying the custom kernel you posted a few days ago.

cheers!

4. myxa78
    August 1st, 2012 at 20:02 | #4

my device is was rooted from box, and shell have #
    but many applications with root permissions said that device is not rooted, so i reroot device and now it’s ok
    un-brick very easy, you need FWDN V7 -v2.22 (firmeware download tool) and firmware for 4Gb or 8 Gb version

5. jamesbond
    August 1st, 2012 at 20:18 | #5

@ myxa78
    Thanks Myxa,

I googled for FWDN V7 -v2.22 and found a few links on mediashare etc but I’m not sure whether that’s the right one.
    Perhaps I’m pushing too much too – is there a similar tool for Linux? And (being the noob I am) – how do you get a copy of the firmware from the device itself? (I have the 8GB version) Thanks again.

cheers!

6. myxa78
    August 1st, 2012 at 20:20 | #6
  7. myxa78
    August 1st, 2012 at 20:22 | #7

@ jamesbond
    I asked the seller for a long time for firmware, and I won :)

8. Klaus
    August 2nd, 2012 at 00:51 | #8

Yeah baby, it worked :)

Thank you guys!

9. max
    August 2nd, 2012 at 05:49 | #9

Dear @cnx since this blog got community of super techs like your self. Hence please allow me to share some nice finds / new stuff / deals etc.
    The objective is they buy it /try it and spread the knowledgeable base. So that n00bs like me can be benefited. :)
    [quote]

Currently I find these three deals and new products very tempting.

Pipo U1 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean DualCore Quad Mali 400 RK3066 /1GB/16GB /1280×800 IPS $152 on tiny deal dot com

Yuandao N70 Android 4.0.4 DualCore Quad Mali 400 RK3066 /1GB /16GB1024x600 IPS $136 on buy sku dot com

Ainol Elf II Android 4.0.4 DualCore Dual Mali 400 Amlogic 8726-M6 /1GB/8GB /1024×600 $113 on buy sku dot com

[/quote]

[quote]
    ………………….Nexus 7……Galaxy Tab 7.7………Transformer TF700…………..Window N70………..Pipo U1……..Ainol Elf2

Vellamo…………1,706……….1,215…………………1,573……………………………1,650………………..NA………………..NA

Sunspider………1,711……….1,993…………………1,745……………………………1,829………………..NA………………..NA

0.9.1
    GL Egypt…………63…………..47……………………..75……………………………….102…………………..NA………………..NA

Off(fps)
    CF bench ……….11,620………7,135…………………8,357……………………………8,921……………….NA………………..NA

Geekbench2…….1,570……………………………………………………………………..1,525……………….NA………………..NA

Antutu……………8,761……………………………………………………………………..8,138……………….NA………………..NA

benchmark table via @janesh (reformat tweaks by myself :)) [/quote]

Guys pls add data further to the list.

10. max
    August 2nd, 2012 at 05:59 | #10

^^ nope,
    got even more messy :(
    @cnx pls fix it. or tell me how to do formatting in comment box.

11. max
    August 2nd, 2012 at 17:59 | #11

hey @cnx you are a great man, Beautiful women are on hunt, they will find you soon. get ready. :)

12. jamesbond
    August 3rd, 2012 at 18:08 | #12

@ myxa78
    Unfortunately mine is a gift, so I don’t have that option. Probably means the CX-01 will remain virgin for quite a while :(

13. myxa78
    August 3rd, 2012 at 18:16 | #13

@ jamesbond
    let’s wait…maybe sometime… ;)

14. Jerome
    August 4th, 2012 at 17:24 | #14

@myxa78 Can you upload this firmware somewhere? Thanks

15. jamesbond
    August 4th, 2012 at 20:59 | #15

@jamesbond
    Thank you myxa78, I understand where you’re coming from. Anyway I’ve just received my Mele, so that will give me the distraction I need ;)

16. Albert
    August 6th, 2012 at 06:04 | #16

Can anyone try to install Linux on Android (http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/) on the CX-01??? I’m about to buy one to do some Linux ARM app development.

It could be a great solution while there is some native Linux release.

Thanks!

17. tatubias
    August 6th, 2012 at 23:11 | #17

ihave just received teh cx-01. i will be testing. i hope we can tweek te deice an difx all th bust that i have found.

1 – power button does not work
    2 – google play crashes all the time.
    3 – no audio configuration available thought settings. (example: you cant make the device make sounds when you press click with the mouse)
    4 – no Bluetooth ( cant be added though a external dongle)
    5 – no external 3g modem cant be used.
    6 – low wifi signal.
    7 – memory improvements
    8 – (no root) this by default in all andoird devices ;)
    9 – CPU need to be tweaked to get the 1ghz that is told in the description

18. Romfont
    August 7th, 2012 at 05:26 | #18

I just got mine from DX yesterday, and it was pre-rooted and with USB debugging turned on by default. I just logged in over adb (adb shell), typed `su’, and I had root. I found it comes with iwlist/iwconfig, busybox, and a couple of other handy tools, but no sudo. I was able to mount /system as rw, so I’ll probably drop in a sudo later. The wlan chip seems to be RT8188, judging from the wlan.ko.

Powering it on with the fn button held down boots it up with a different USB profile, probably bootloader (not fastboot). I don’t have a dvi/hdmi screen sitting around here atm, so all this tinkering is ‘blind’. It seems to have a small reset button next to the fn button so perhaps that’ll make it go into fastboot.

19. August 7th, 2012 at 09:07 | #19

@tatubias
    1. There is no power button on mine.
    2. I haven’t noticed this myself, but others did. There a solution on Pandawill forum, search for root cx-01 google play in google.
    3. –
    4 & 5 – Hopefully we can build the necessary modules since we’ve got the kernel sources
    6. I did not measure that, but it may explain the poor video streaming performance. How did you measure it, with iwconfig?
    7. –
    8. That’s why I wrote this page :)
    9. Datasheet says 833 MHz maximum, so those 1 GHz claims are pure marketing tricks. (if the chip is really TCC8925).

20. Slowstream
    August 7th, 2012 at 09:40 | #20

@tatubias
    It is no power button, it is usb mode button. I did not find any way to trun it off than to turn off my tv.

21. Gabe
    August 7th, 2012 at 15:03 | #21

The device has HDMI-CEC & somebody reported it to be working so I think it’s possible to turn off with the TV.

22. myxa78
    August 9th, 2012 at 13:15 | #22
  23. August 9th, 2012 at 13:19 | #23

@myxa78
    Awesome!

24. August 9th, 2012 at 13:47 | #24

@myxa78
    The files inside the archives are dated 27/7/2012 so it could be a firmware update as well, although I have not tried it yet.

25. Gabe
    August 9th, 2012 at 15:25 | #25

Here are some interesting strings from the rom:
    “Linux version 3.0.8-tcc (root@robin) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #104 PREEMPT Mon Jul 16 12:08:30 CST 2012″
    “build.id=CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en
    ro.build.display.id=CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en -20120716.120839
    ro.build.version.incremental=-20120716.120839″

26. August 9th, 2012 at 17:19 | #26

@Gabe
    Thanks. The firmware on my CX-01 was built on 20120710, so a few bugs might have been fixed.

27. August 9th, 2012 at 22:46 | #27

I only tried the root method today.. I skipped steps 3 (Windows XP) and it still worked.

28. Klaus
  29. killoman
    August 20th, 2012 at 06:32 | #29

Hello.
    How can i to root a Zero Devices Z902 to use droidmote??
    This device has a chip Allwinner A10 and i don’t know if i would use http://www.unlockroot.com

30. August 20th, 2012 at 09:01 | #30

@killoman
    It already be rooted, if not unlockroot.com could work.

31. killoman
    August 20th, 2012 at 21:01 | #31

@Cnxsoft
    Thanks for responses.
    Do I understand that the device is pre-rooted?
    If not, would I be worth the instructions to root the device cx-01 with the Z902?
    Because the chips of Cx-01 is the TELECHIPS TCC 8920 and the chips of Z902 is allwinner 10.

32. August 20th, 2012 at 21:07 | #32

@killoman
    I have yet to see an AllWinner device that is not rooted. But if it’ not rooted, the instructions to unroot it would be very similar to the one above, except you can skip steps 2 and 3. If unlockroot does not work, then it can become pretty complicated to root a device.

33. patoruzu
    August 30th, 2012 at 05:35 | #33

unlockroot always asks the “install driver”???? Mi pc: w7_64.

34. Gamer
    November 27th, 2012 at 22:48 | #34

Hi
    I tried to root my cx-01 ( 8 GB) by connecting it to my windows 7, 64 bit Intel dual core laptop as you described above but when I try to install the edited ‘android_winusb.inf’ as the driver it says ‘no driver found’. I have noted that the first line in edited part says [Google.NTamd64] 64-bit], could it be that I need a different driver for Intel laptop? or is there something else missing
    please help
    thanks in advance

35. November 28th, 2012 at 10:53 | #35

@Gamer
    Actually “[Google.NTamd64] 64-bit]: looks weird, could you try “[Google.NTamd64]” instead?

1. August 11th, 2012 at 20:31 | #1