How To Root CX-01 Android mini PC

CX-01 is a cool low cost Android mini PC (as low as $40), but unlike many other Chinese Android device it is not rooted.

Here are the instructions to root it:

1. Download Unlock Root http://www.unlockroot.com/. NB: The download link does not appear to work right now, but the filename is unlockroot23.exe, so here are some alternative untested download links.
  2. Find Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf in the directory where you install Unlockroot
  3. Open the file in a text editor, and add the following lines:
    • For Win 7 (64-bit):
      [Google.NTamd64] 64-bit]
      ;TCC8920
      %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
      %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
    • For WinXP (32-bit):
      [Google.NTx86]
      ;TCC8920
      %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&MI_01
      %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\Vid_18D1&Pid_DEED&Rev_0231&MI_01
  4. Connect CX-01 to your PC via USB, it should then detect your new device. If it doesn’t simply press “fn” key on CX-01 TV Stick.
  5. Select the driver that you edited in Unlockroot\driver\android_winusb.inf
  6. Once the driver is installed, run unlockroot
  7. Press ROOT, then reroot device.
  8. Reboot CX-01 mini PC
  9. Done!

Thanks to Myxa78.

Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples
newest most voted
Klaus
Klaus
8 years ago

Maybe you could also add Myxa78s instruction to delete the preinstalled apps, for noobs like me ๐Ÿ˜€

@ Klaus
1.you need root first!
2. install App Remover https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.curvefish.apps.appremover&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jdXJ2ZWZpc2guYXBwcy5hcHByZW1vdmVyIl0.
3.remove application
but if you don’t know what is the application, better don’t uninstall it
you can brick your device ( i have firmware for reflash device, but i promise to panda, that i don’t share it via internet)

jamesbond
jamesbond
8 years ago

I’m not sure why you need to do this. I got mine already rooted – all I need to do is run “adb root” followed by “adb shell” and I’ve got root shell (I’m running Linux so I don’t need to meddle with that INF silliness), and from there I can install anything I need (supposedly – I haven’t done it myself).

I’m however is very interested to know how to un-brick the device if needed; that’s the only thing stopping me from trying the custom kernel you posted a few days ago.

cheers!

8 years ago

my device is was rooted from box, and shell have #
but many applications with root permissions said that device is not rooted, so i reroot device and now it’s ok
un-brick very easy, you need FWDN V7 -v2.22 (firmeware download tool) and firmware for 4Gb or 8 Gb version

jamesbond
jamesbond

@ myxa78
Thanks Myxa,

I googled for FWDN V7 -v2.22 and found a few links on mediashare etc but I’m not sure whether that’s the right one.
Perhaps I’m pushing too much too – is there a similar tool for Linux? And (being the noob I am) – how do you get a copy of the firmware from the device itself? (I have the 8GB version) Thanks again.

cheers!

@ jamesbond
I asked the seller for a long time for firmware, and I won ๐Ÿ™‚

Klaus
Klaus

Yeah baby, it worked ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you guys!

max
max
8 years ago

Dear @cnx since this blog got community of super techs like your self. Hence please allow me to share some nice finds / new stuff / deals etc. The objective is they buy it /try it and spread the knowledgeable base. So that n00bs like me can be benefited. ๐Ÿ™‚ [quote] Currently I find these three deals and new products very tempting. Pipo U1 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean DualCore Quad Mali 400 RK3066 /1GB/16GB /1280×800 IPS $152 on tiny deal dot com http://translate.google.com/translate?&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tinydeal.com%2Ffr%2Fpipo-u1-7-ips-screen-android-40-dual-core-16gb-tablet-pc-p-62777.html Yuandao N70 Android 4.0.4 DualCore Quad Mali 400 RK3066 /1GB /16GB1024x600 IPS $136 on buy sku dot… Read more ยป

max
max

^^ nope,
got even more messy ๐Ÿ™
@cnx pls fix it. or tell me how to do formatting in comment box.

max
max
8 years ago

hey @cnx you are a great man, Beautiful women are on hunt, they will find you soon. get ready. ๐Ÿ™‚

jamesbond
jamesbond

@ myxa78
Unfortunately mine is a gift, so I don’t have that option. Probably means the CX-01 will remain virgin for quite a while ๐Ÿ™ …

@ jamesbond
let’s wait…maybe sometime… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jerome
Jerome

@myxa78 Can you upload this firmware somewhere? Thanks

jamesbond
jamesbond

@jamesbond
Thank you myxa78, I understand where you’re coming from. Anyway I’ve just received my Mele, so that will give me the distraction I need ๐Ÿ˜‰

Albert
Albert
8 years ago

Can anyone try to install Linux on Android (http://linuxonandroid.blogspot.com/) on the CX-01??? I’m about to buy one to do some Linux ARM app development.

It could be a great solution while there is some native Linux release.

Thanks!

tatubias
tatubias
8 years ago

ihave just received teh cx-01. i will be testing. i hope we can tweek te deice an difx all th bust that i have found. 1 – power button does not work 2 – google play crashes all the time. 3 – no audio configuration available thought settings. (example: you cant make the device make sounds when you press click with the mouse) 4 – no Bluetooth ( cant be added though a external dongle) 5 – no external 3g modem cant be used. 6 – low wifi signal. 7 – memory improvements 8 – (no root) this by default… Read more ยป

Romfont
Romfont
8 years ago

I just got mine from DX yesterday, and it was pre-rooted and with USB debugging turned on by default. I just logged in over adb (adb shell), typed `su’, and I had root. I found it comes with iwlist/iwconfig, busybox, and a couple of other handy tools, but no sudo. I was able to mount /system as rw, so I’ll probably drop in a sudo later. The wlan chip seems to be RT8188, judging from the wlan.ko. Powering it on with the fn button held down boots it up with a different USB profile, probably bootloader (not fastboot). I don’t… Read more ยป

Slowstream
Slowstream

@tatubias
It is no power button, it is usb mode button. I did not find any way to trun it off than to turn off my tv.

Gabe
Gabe
8 years ago

The device has HDMI-CEC & somebody reported it to be working so I think it’s possible to turn off with the TV.

Gabe
Gabe
8 years ago

Here are some interesting strings from the rom:
“Linux version 3.0.8-tcc ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) #104 PREEMPT Mon Jul 16 12:08:30 CST 2012”
“build.id=CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en
ro.build.display.id=CX1-V1.0-v12.05_r1-4096-8189-en -20120716.120839
ro.build.version.incremental=-20120716.120839”

killoman
killoman

Hello.
How can i to root a Zero Devices Z902 to use droidmote??
This device has a chip Allwinner A10 and i don’t know if i would use http://www.unlockroot.com

killoman
killoman

Thanks for responses.
Do I understand that the device is pre-rooted?
If not, would I be worth the instructions to root the device cx-01 with the Z902?
Because the chips of Cx-01 is the TELECHIPS TCC 8920 and the chips of Z902 is allwinner 10.

patoruzu
patoruzu
8 years ago

unlockroot always asks the “install driver”???? Mi pc: w7_64.

Gamer
Gamer
7 years ago

Hi
I tried to root my cx-01 ( 8 GB) by connecting it to my windows 7, 64 bit Intel dual core laptop as you described above but when I try to install the edited ‘android_winusb.inf’ as the driver it says ‘no driver found’. I have noted that the first line in edited part says [Google.NTamd64] 64-bit], could it be that I need a different driver for Intel laptop? or is there something else missing
please help