D-link Boxee set-top-box is available for pre-order on amazon for 199 USD. It can only be pre-ordered to addresses in the US for now and shipments should start in November. D-Link disclosed that its device is based on an Intel Atom processor CE4100 (Sodaville), not an ARM or MIPS processor as many other STBs do. It is running on embedded Linux.
Key features listed by D-Link for the device (beside its weird shape) are basically those of the Boxee media-streaming software on which it’s based:
- Enjoy thousands of shows available for free from your favorite networks, ready to watch at any time
- Check-out free movies from the web & watch new releases in stunning HD from premium movie services
- Play videos, songs, or pictures from your computer or home network
- Plays any non-DRM video, music, and photos and media from anywhere on the Internet
The device features the following input/output and power connections:
- HDMI port
- Optical digital audio (S/PDIF) out
- Stereo analog audio out
- Ethernet RJ-45 connector
- Wifi (802.11n)
- 2 USB 2.0 ports
- SD Card slots
- AC power
It also has an RF remote and a qwerty keyboard.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|