ST Microelectonics promote their Cortex-M series at ARM Techcon 2011 and especially the new STM32F4 series the most powerful cortex M4 MCUs.
They also showcase a low cost development board called STM32F4-Discovery that they give away at the exhibition and that can be bought online for 14.90USD from distributors.
The evaluation board is based on the STM32F407VGT6 and includes an ST-LINK/V2 embedded debug tool, two ST MEMS, digital accelerometer and digital microphone, one audio DAC with integrated class D speaker driver, LEDs and push buttons and an USB OTG micro-AB connector.
A large number of free ready-to-run application firmware examples are available in the STM32F4-Discovery board firmware package to support quick evaluation and development.
- STM32F407VGT6 microcontroller featuring 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4F core, 1 MB Flash, 192 KB RAM in an LQFP100 package
- On-board ST-LINK/V2 with selection mode switch to use the kit as a standalone ST-LINK/V2 (with SWD connector for programming and debugging)
- Board power supply: through USB bus or from an external 5 V supply voltage
- External application power supply: 3 V and 5 V
- LIS302DL, ST MEMS motion sensor, 3-axis digital output accelerometer
- MP45DT02, ST MEMS audio sensor, omni-directional digital microphone
- CS43L22, audio DAC with integrated class D speaker driver
- Eight LEDs:
- LD1 (red/green) for USB communication
- LD2 (red) for 3.3 V power on
- Four user LEDs, LD3 (orange), LD4 (green), LD5 (red) and LD6 (blue)
- 2 USB OTG LEDs LD7 (green) VBus and LD8 (red) over-current
- Two push buttons (user and reset)
- USB OTG FS with micro-AB connector
- Extension header for all LQFP100 I/Os for quick connection to prototyping board and easy probing
The STM32F40x Standard Peripheral & DSP Library can also be downloaded from the Embedded Software Store.
STM also made available the product brief, application notes, datasheets, technical notes and user manuals on STM32F4-Discovery page.
You can watch Stuart McLaren (Micro-controller Group at STM) interview at ARM Techcon 2011 below to know more about STM32F4 series, see the STM32F4-Discovery kit and learn how STM does in the MCU market.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
6 Replies to “ST Micro 15 USD STM32F4-Discovery Cortex-M Development Kit”
I’d like to buy the board, since I’m in Europe. Do you know what else except the board is needed to take part in the webinars? Any chance I’ll be able to do it on Linux…?
Just a link to the webinar post first, in case other people ask later:
I haven’t registered, so I don’t know the details about the hardware required. I’m not sure how they intend to have a hand-on session about “Graphics Processing” without a display…
But according to the agenda, you’ll probably need to install MicroXplorer http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/FM147/CL1794/SC961/SS1533/PF251717, and it only works in Windows.
OK, that’s the one they’ll use for the workshop, so there will be a display – http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/FM116/SC959/SS1532/PF259090