TP-Link WR703N – $23 Hackable openWRT Wi-Fi 802.11N Router

TP-Link WR703N is a tiny 802.11N 150 Mbps Wi-Fi router smaller than a credit card (5.7 x 5.7 cm) and 1.8 cm thick based on Atheros AR7240 processor with 4 MB flash and 32 MB RAM. It costs just above $20 US and can be hacked with openWRT. It features one USB host connector that allows you to connect USB devices (USB flash drive, printer…) to it.

Low cost openWRT router
TP-Link TL-WR703N

TL-WR703N Specifications:

• Atheros AR7240 CPU @ 400Mhz (MIPS24k core)
  • Atheros AR9331 Chipset (integrated wireless)
  • 10/100 Mbit Ethernet port
  • 802.11 b/g/n 150Mbps
  • 3G support via external USB dongle
  • 4 MB flash memory
  • 32 MB RAM
  • USB 2.0 port
  • micro-USB port for power
  • Dimension – 5.7 x 5.7 x 1.8 cm

All you need is a USB to TLL board to access the serial console, open the box to access the serial pins (TP_IN and TP_OUT) and follow the instructions on openWRT website to convert it into a Linux router.

You can do all sort of things with this board such as an home automation system, a printer server (there may be limits to the document size due to the lack of memory), a sensors gateway and more. It is powered via USB and only consumes 0.5W on average.

The router is available for $23 including shipping on Dealextreme, Aliexpress and eBay, and comes with a power supply and a micro USB to USB cable. You can get further information on the device on TP-Link website (in Chinese).

Via DangerousPrototypes

Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.

Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples
newest most voted
Europi
Europi
8 years ago
rm
rm
8 years ago

It’s a really great tiny device (I have a couple and use one as my main home router), it’s been around for quite some time though: http://embeddedtimes.blogspot.com/2011/09/tp-link-tl-wr703n-tiny-linux-capable.html

Onebir
Onebir
8 years ago

$22 here: http://www.tinydeal.com/tp-link-mini-3g-mobile-broadband-wireless-router-blue-white-p-41446.html

I’ve only ordered from Tinydeal once; that one time went smoothly.

Tyler
Tyler
8 years ago

Hello cnxsoft, can you make a video detailing how to flash open wrt to this device? Thank you!

Tyler
Tyler
8 years ago

Ok thank you. And I have one more question, I have a portable micro usb charger. So say I put OpenWRT on it, along with SAMBA and plugged in a flash drive powered by the portable charger. Would I have a portable NAS?

s7mx1
s7mx1
8 years ago

I have heard reports from users that my firmware works with hw version 1.4 and 1.5 but not 1.6. I am currently busy with the raspbmc project and will revisit it a bit later this summer.

The coolest thing is actually the pulseaudio server and if you pair it with raspberry pi you could actually make a really nice wifi audio streaming solution.

Tyler
Tyler
8 years ago

Actually after researching I find out you can make a PirateBox out of this. Already bought mine.

rm
rm
8 years ago

@ cnxsoft
A PirateBox: http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox

Also, I’d say everyone should get one 😀 It’s only $22 and by the time it arrives you’ll already have some ideas how to use it.

j1nx
8 years ago

Wonder if you can make a Fonera box out of this

zoobab
8 years ago

I tried to order one at Dealextreme 2 times, my order was cancelled and DL never managed to deliver one.

Brian
Brian
7 years ago

Is there a method for DD-WRT similar to the OpenWRT method, that wouldn’t require the USBSerial adapter?

onebir
onebir
7 years ago

@Brian
The stock firmware has an ‘update firmware’ button. This is how I installed OpenWRT on mine, which was very straightforward. Should be the same for DD-WRT, provided there’s a suitable binary…

7 years ago

Search around for a good price on a TPLink MR-3020. It is a slightly different version of the device for $5-10 more. The main advantage is that the serial line is easy to get to unlike the WR703N. There are four easy holes where you can solder on a four pin header for a serial connector.

This works good with the MR-3020.

steven
steven
7 years ago

Hi,guys.We have a portable power bank specifically designed for TP-Link mini wireless router WR702N and WR703N,you can check it at http://igg.me/at/sofa/x/989539.

Advertisements