Since it was first announced in August, Rockchip RK3066 dual core mini PCs have been popping up everywhere, and AFAIK those are currently the only low cost (sub $100) dual core Android TV Sticks available. But according to a recent Kimdecent announcement, this is about to change with the release of the Droid Stick A2 based on AMLogic AML8726-MX Dual Core Cortex A9 processor with 1GB RAM and 4 to 8 GB Flash running Android Jelly Bean.
Here are Droid Stick A2 specifications:
- CPU – Amlogic AML8726-MX Dual Core Cortex A9 @ 1.5 GHz
- GPU – Mali400 Dual Core, 2D/ 3D/ OpenGL ES2.0/ OpenVG1.1.
- System Memory – 1 GB RAM
- Storage – 4/8 GB Nand Flash + microSD card slot (up to 32GB)
- WiFi – 802.11b/g/n
- Video Output – HDMI (1080P)
- Video Decoding – Supports up to [email protected]
- Video Encoding – Supports encoding in H.264. [email protected], [email protected]
- USB – 1xUSB 2.0, 1x Mini USB
- Misc. ports – 1xMic, 1x Infra receiver port
For Linux lovers this device should potentially be a much better option than Rockchip RK3066 since AMLogic did release the kernel source for their dual core processor, and native (Linux and Android) XBMC support should be possible, unless there is much difference between AML8726-M3 and AML8726-MX on the video decoding front.
The device is not yet listed on Kimdecent aliexpress shop, as the device is in the final stages of development and should be available within 2 to 3 weeks. No pricing information is available at this time.