DaVinci Mobile, an Italian company, has just announced a Samsung Exynos 4412 quad core tablet running Android 4.0 (ICS) and Ubuntu 12.04 Precise that should sell for 373 Euros in Italy, or just 29 Euros with a subscription.
The specifications of this tablet are as follows:
- SoC – Samsung Exynos Quad-Core Cortex A9 processor @ 1.4 Ghz + Quad-Core Mali-400MP GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 32GB flash + microSD card socket
- Display – 10.1 “IPS Multi-touch Capacitive Panel (1920×1200) with a viewing angle of 178 °
- Wi-Fi – 82.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.0
- GPS- A-GPS
- Sensors – Gyroscope
- Camera – VGA front camera, 2.0 MP rear camera
- USB – miniUSB port
- Audio I/O – 3.5 mm jack for headphones
- Battery – 5400mAh 3.7V
- Weight – 539g
- Dimensions – 258.3x164x9.5mm
The hardware specifications appear to perfectly match Ramos W30HD tablet, sold for less than $300 on Chinese websites such as Pandawill. So the only value added is that it can run Ubuntu and Android. It’s not running Ubuntu for Android, but it can apparently dual boot either operating systems. At least, that’s what news site report, but when I read the translation, it seems you can order the tablet either with Android or Ubuntu.
If Italian speakers could confirm that would be nice. See ss comment below.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.