Mygica A11 ($65) was the cheapest AMLogic AML8726-M3 Android set-top box I was aware of, but today I’ve come across HD18M with very similar specs (e.g. 1GB RAM, 4GB Flash…) that sells for $59.40 on DealExtreme including shipping.
Here are HD18M Android STB Specifications:
- SoC – AMLogic AML8726-M3 (Cortex A9) processor @ 1.0GHz with Mali-400 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 4GB Flash + microSD slot (Up to 32GB)
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 (Up to 1080p)
- Video Formats – AVI, RM, RMVB, TS, VOB, MKV, MOV, WMV, ISO, ASF, FLV, DAT, MPG & MPEG
- Video Codecs – MPEG1/2/4, H.264, AVC/VC-1, Xvid ,DivX3/4/5/6, and Real Video 8/9/10
- Audio Formats – MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, APE, TrueHD, AAC, AC3, AC-D, DDP & DTS.
- Subtitle – srt, smi, ssa and ass
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 Host ports
- Connectivity – 10/100 Mbit Ethernet + Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
The only differences I could spot based on Dealextreme specifications (BIG FAT WARNING) are that HD18M is said to feature HDMI 1.4, instead of HDMI 1.3 used in A11, as well as built-in Wi-Fi, but HD18M has only 2 USB host ports vs 3 USB ports in Mygica A11.
This Android 4.0 media player ships with an IR remote control, a 100~220V power supply, and a user’s manual in English and Chinese. This type of box is mainly interesting to potentially run XBMC natively in Linux [Update: There’s now a (preliminary?) XBMC Linux ROM for the Mygica A11] or with proper XBMC UI integration in Android (i.e. not via external player), since you’ll soon (February) be able to get a Rockchip RK3066 set-top box for the same price.
One of the picture on DX.com shows the MAC address “c4:4e:ac:xx:xx:xx” on the device, and a MAC address lookup shows Shenzhen Shiningworth Tech owns this address range. The company sells what appears to be the same box, but called “U2M”, on Alibaba for $46 to $48 per unit for 100 pieces orders.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.