After Clousto A20 Media PC, and Mele A100 Dual, here’s another set-top box powered by AllWinner A20 dual core Cortex A7 SoC. GV-17 Android TV Box comes with 1GB RAM, 8GB Flash, and contrary to the other previous hardware also adds 2.0MP front camera. If you’ve heard about this model before, it’s because it’s an update of GV-17 set-top box based on AllWinner A10.
GV-17 (A20) Specifications:
- SoC – AllWinner A20 dual core Cortex A7 + Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB RAM
- Storage – 8G NAND Flash + SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI, composite and VGA
- Audio I/O – HDMI, stereo jack, and S/PDIF – Integrated MIC
- Video Codecs – MPEG-1/2,MPEG-4 ASP, DivX 3/4/5, H.263, H.264, XviD, VC-1, WMV
- Audio Codecs – MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, APE, ACC-LC, ACC-HE, AC-3, DTS, Real Audio
- WiFi 802.11b/g/n (RALINK 8188)
- 10/100M Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB Host
- Camera – 2.0 MP webcam
- Power – 5V
- Weight – 800 grams
- Dimensions – 15 x 11 x 2.8 cm
The device is said to ship with a power adapter, and HDMI cable, an AV cable, a 2.4GHz remote control / air mouse, and a user manual. This set-top box is particularly interesting for those wanting a VGA port and/or do video conferencing, but I’d wish they had offer an option to insert a 2.5″ SATA drive or SSD since A20 supports SATA.
GV-17 with AllWinner A20 can be purchased for $112.19 on GeekBuying, and I could not find the device on other website at this time. Please bear in mind that at the time of writing there’s no remote control on the website, so I’ve asked for confirmation and details. For your reference, GV-17 (A10) sells for $90 to $100 on Aliexpress and DealExtreme, but instead of an RF remote, it comes with a simple IR remote.
Even if it’s early days, since most documentation and source code is already available for AllWinner A20, we should see Linux run on such device very soon, probably with proper GPU support, but no VPU support. My guess, however, is that after Cubieboard A20, Mele A200 Dual may be one of the preferred development platform since it comes with a SATA interface, and because Mele A1000 has been used extensively for AllWinner A10 work last year.