I’ve just discovered another dual core Rockchip SoC called RK3068, but it may not be new, as I can find some references as far back as September 2012. Amazingly, I can’t seem to find any announcement, and details are scarce. Very few products feature this chipset, but Risun D05, an Android mini PC, is one of them, so let’s have a closer look.
Risun D05 specifications based on Alibaba listing:
- SoC- Rockchip RK3068 dual core ARM Cortex A9 @ 1.6 GHz with dual core Mali-400 GPU
- System Memory – 1 GB DDR3
- Storage – 4 GB NAND Flash, with option for 8GB or 16GB, + micro SD card slot (Up to 32GB)
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 male
- Video Codecs – MPEG 1, MPEG-2, MPEG 4,H.263, H.264, AVS, VC 1, RV, VP6 VP8, Sorenson Spark, MVC 1920x1080P 60FPS.
- Video Encoder – H.264,VP8,MVC(1080P)
- Audio Formats – MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, OGA, APE, FLAC, AAC, M4A, 3GPP
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n + optional micro USB to Ethernet adapter.
- Power Supply – 5V/1A via Micro USB
- Dimensions – 81.6 x 28.5 x 8.5 mm
- Weight – 50g
The device runs Android 4.1. I found the device on Alibaba, and Risun is the only company selling RK3068 mini PCs for $30 to $50 (FOB price). Risun also has a website where they list D02 and D03 mini PCs, but there’s no information about D05 yet.
RK3068 is much smaller than RK3066, and allows for smaller HDMI TV stick designs. Both SoCs feature a dual core ARM Cortex A9 processor @ 1.6GHz, and are manufactured using 40nm process technology, but RK3068 apparently comes with a Mali-400 MP2 GPU, whereas RK3066 comes with Mali-400 MP4.
An article from PCOnline (in Chinese) seems to imply RK3068 directly supports 3G modules. Unedited Google translation:
Rockchip RK3068 CPU specifications on many parameters and we have been very familiar with RK3066 dual core solution is very close, they are also dual-core A9 1.6GHz clocked CPU, also support DDR3 memory, support 1080P HD video formats hardware decoding. However, RK3068 scheme can support 3G module, call the Internet.
That’s about all I know for now.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|