Qualcomm has just announced their “next generation” Snapdragon 805 “Ultra HD” processor, part of the Snapdragon 800 family. The SoC supports video playback and capture, image and graphics processing on display supporting Ultra HD (aka 4K2K or 2160p) resolution. Snapdragon 805 features four Krait 450 core up to 2.5GHz, and an Adreno 420 GPU which is claimed to have 40% more graphics processing than its predecessor: Adreno 330.
Snapdragon 805 key features:
- High performance – Krait 450 quad-core CPU @ 2.5 GHz per core, memory bandwidth support of up to 25.6 GB/second.
- High graphics performance and Ultra HD resolution – Adreno 420 GPU with support for hardware tessellation and geometry shaders, and 4K processing.
- Connectivity – Integration with either the Qualcomm Gobi MDM9x25 or the Gobi MDM9x35 modem (just announced too) for cellular connectivity. Gobi MDM9x25 support LTE Category 4 with peak data rates of up to 150Mbps, and the new Gobi MDM9x25 cellular modem based on the 20 nm technology. supports both LTE TDD and FDD Category 6 with download speeds of up to 300 Mbps. The Gobi 9×35 is also backwards compatible and supports all other major cellular technologies, including DC-HSPA, EVDO Rev. B, CDMA 1x, GSM and TD-SCDMA. Qualcomm VIVE 802.11ac dual band solution will allow wireless 4K video streaming. and over 600 Mbps throughput, and it also integrates Bluetooth connectivity.
- Lower power consumption to stream high quality content – Support for Hollywood Quality Video (HQV) for video post processing, hardware 4K HEVC (H.265) decode for mobile for low-power HD video playback.
- Better low light photos and post-processing features – First Gpixel/s throughput camera support in a mobile processor designed for a significant increase in camera speed and imaging quality. Sensor processing with gyro integration enables image stabilization for sharper and crisper photos. Low-power, integrated sensor processing, enabled by Qualcomm’s custom DSP.
The company claims Snapdragon 805 is the very first complete 4K mobile solution supporting video, imaging, graphics, streaming, and display at 3840×2160 resolution for smartphones and tablets.
Snapdragon 805 processor is said to be sampling now, and should be found in commercial devices in H1 2014.
Thanks to David for the tip.