Many low cost Intel mini PCs sold on the market do not include storage and memory, and you have to add them yourself. On the contrary, ECS LIVA desktop computer powered by an Intel Bay Trail-M processor will work out of the box as it comes with 32GB eMMC and 2GB DDR3L, both soldered on board, and will sell for less $200 once it becomes available.
- SoC – Unspecified Intel Bay Trail-M SoC. It should be on of the N2800, N2900 or N3500 series.
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3L
- Storage – 32GB eMMC
- Video Output – 1x HDMI, 1x VGA
- Audio – 2-ch audio combo jack (Realtek ALC282)
- 1x Gigabit Ethernet (Realtek RTL8111G)
- IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 (AzureWave AW-NB136NF 2)
- USB – 1x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0
- Expansion – M.2 interface (NGFF)
- Thermal – 1 Fanless heat sink
- Power – 5V via micro USB. Up to 15W power consumption.
- Dimensions – 118 x 70 x 56mm
- Weight – 190g
The product is sold as a kit, supposed to take less than a minute to assemble, with the motherboard (ECS BAT-MINI), a case, an antenna, a power adapter, and a manual & drivers DVD. It won’t come with a pre-installed operating system, but you’ll be able to install Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 and Ubuntu will become available soon. M.2 is a new type of expansion connector destined to replace mSATA and allow smaller SSDs. M.2 also supports PCI Express 3.0 and USB 3.0. In this computer the M.2 interface is used with a compliant Wi-Fi/BT module.
ECS LIVA mini PC kit is smaller than the latest Intel NUC, once RAM, storage and wireless connectivity are taken into account it should also be cheaper than Intel NUC, and it’s the first Intel based desktop computer that I’ve ever seen powered by a micro USB port. It looks like you may need a 5V/3A power adapter however, so all these 5V/2A USB adapters in your drawers may not cut it.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|