The Yocto Project Release 1.6 has just been announced. This release is codenamed “Daisy”, and features Poky 11.0.0, which is the reference system used by the project, but other systems could also be used. The Yocto Project is a framework that creates embedded Linux distributions, and is now being used by many Intel and ARM based embedded boards such as Wandboard, Atmel Xplained, Minnowboard MAX, and the Raspberry Pi.
Some of the Yocto Project 1.6 features and updates include:
- Linux kernel 3.14 and 3.10 LTSI
- eglibc 2.19, gcc 4.8.2
- Support for building Python 3
- Toaster web UI for exploring build output
- Documentation – BitBake user’s manual improvment, and added section explaining how to “Write a New Recipe“.
- New reference BSP for beaglebone and edgerouter
- Change to use SHA512 password encryption with shadow by default
- Various performance improvement, and disk usage reductions.
- Add support for booting UEFI systems with gummiboot
- Image / SDK creation code rewritten in Python (previously shell scripts)
- Add Git Annex fetcher support
- Add ability to build rpm/deb/ipk packages concurrently
- Default to out-of-tree builds when using cmake
- Added / improved systemd support
- Test suites – Added ptest support to various packages, added piglit for OpenGL testing, added testing to more recipes
You can download The Yocto Project 1.6 with Poky 11 to give it a try. Alternatively, you can also retrieve the code via git:
git clone -b <code>daisy </code>git://<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git</span>
For further details, you can visit Yocto Project 1.6 Features page.
The next version (The Yocto Project 1.7) will be released in October 2014, as the project follows a 6-month release schedule. Yocto Project 1.7 Features page is still work in progress, but main themes ofr development have not been decided, or the page have not been updated just yet.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.