Xiaomi announced the Mi Box Pro TV Box powered by Amlogic S802-H SoC and running MIUI TV user interface on top of Android. The company sells the device in China for 399 CNY ($64), but it has now found its way Aliexpress, where anybody can purchase the box for $92 including shipping, which is about the same price as most other S802 devices.
Here’s a reminder of the specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S802-H quad core Cortex A9r4 processor @ 2GHz with ARM Mali-450MP6 octa-core GPU
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 4GB eMMC Flash + micro SD slot up to 64 GB
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI (Up to 4K30) and 3.5 mm AV
- Audio / Video Playback – MKV, AVI, MP3 and MOV up to 4K resolution. AC3, Dolby and DTS audio support
- Connectivity – Dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi up to 120 Mbps (vs 40 Mbps for 802.11n)
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port + 1x USB OTG port
- Power – 5.2V/2.1A (sic)
- Dimensions – 101 x 101 x 19.5 mm
- Weight – 200g
This must be the cheapest box with S802-H providing Dolby and DTS hardware audio decoding, and one of the few media players to come with 802.11ac Wi-Fi. What you lose however is Ethernet and S/PDIF output, and you’ll also get a smaller flash (4 GB) albeit most probably with good performance since its an eMMC flash, and only one USB port.
Mi Pro Box ships with an IR Remote Control, an HDMI Cable, a user’s manual and a warranty card.
Currently this device may not be for everybody, and the user interface must be in Chinese, with possibly not way to change language, and obviously no Google Play. It might be possible however that somebody managed to install AOSP, and another UI in the device.
A final comment. The device can be purchased for 399 CNY (~64 CNY) on Taobao, so it should be possible to get it for a few dollar less than the $92 price tag in Aliexpress, using services such as Easy-Taobao or Taobao Ring.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.