After Ineda Systems Dhanush SoC and SHASTRA Devkit, here’s another Wearable SoC and development kit for today with Mediatek announcement of their LinkIt platform providing both hardware and software to develop wearables and IoT applications using their Aster SoC for wearables.
Key features of LinkIt platform listed on Mediatek Labs:
- MediaTek Aster (MT2502) measures only 5.4 x 6.2mm and is specifically designed for wearable devices
- Developer platform supported by reference designs that enable creation of various form factors, functionalities and internet connected services
- Synergies between microprocessor unit and communication modules, facilitating development and saving time in new device creation
- Modularity in software architecture provides developers with high degree of flexibility
- Supports over-the-air (OTA) updates for apps, algorithms and drivers
- Plug-in software development kit (SDK) for Arduino and VisualStudio; planned (Q4 2014) support for Eclipse
- Hardware Development Kit (HDK) based on LinkIt board by third party
No details have been provided for Aster, but we do know it is a single chip comprised of an MCU, a modem and a Bluetooth transceiver. The LinkIt hardware platform can also add GPS (MT3332) and Wi-FI (MT5931) as options, and provides expansions headers to add your own sensors. The chosen operating systems appears to be Mentor Embedded Nucleus Real-time OS.
LinkIt will be distributed via Mediatek Labs, which will open in the third quarter of this year. If I understand correctly, Mediatek, the company that used to work exclusively with large OEMs and partners, is starting to open itself to the developer community with this upcoming development kit. If you’re interested, you can register on Mediatek Labs to be informed when the platform becomes available.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|