SZ Tomato / Eny (E)M8 is an Android TV box powered by Amlogic S802 quad core processor, with 2GB RAM and 16 GB flash, but Stane1983 has been working on an XBMC Linux port for the device, and has released a beta version on Freaktab a few days ago.
The firmware file (MX_LINUX-K200-update.zip) is available, and just need to be copied to an SD card to perform the update. The version is Gotham 13.1. This will completely replace you Android installation, and only works on M8 TV box, as the bootloader is not compatible with other S802 hardware, and the firmware only support AP6330 Wi-Fi module. If you decide not to keep using XBMC Linux, you can revert to Android, but reflashing the firmware via the SD card.
This is a beta version, so expects some bugs. The list of known bugs is as follows:
- Bootlogo and splashscreens (booting up/shutting down) are not shown
- 720p and 1080i/1080p resolutions work for sure, however I’m pretty sure 4k output will not work at all or will not work correctly
- When network connected via cable MAC address is picked randomly so on each reboot box will have different MAC address and IP address assigned by router. This means that router’s DHCP pool might fill up quickly if there are many reboots.
- Some users reported USB mouse issues, poor Ethernet performance, etc..
- Many add-ons do not seem to work
You can also access the device with SSH using root/letmein credentials.
Thanks to Stanislav for the tip.