Probox2 EX is an Android TV Box with an enclosure similar to MX3, but with better hardware including Amlogic S802-H, 16GB eMMC Flash, 2GB RAM, dual band Wi-Fi, and more, and an interesting RF air mouse dubbed “Remote+” that can also be used for playing games, and audio chat.
Probox2 EX specifications:
- SoC – AMLogic S802-H quad core ARM Cortex A9r4 at 2.0GHz with ARM Mali-450MP6 GPU up to 600 MHz
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC Flash + micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4b and AV
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and S/PDIF
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with external antenna, and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports + 1x micro USB OTG
- Misc – IR Sensor, Power LED, power button, and recovery/update switch via AV jack
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 11.5 x 11.5 x 2.6 cm
- Weight – 200 grams
If you’re sick and tired of seeing the same colorful Metro style user interface all over again, Probox2’s developers have designed a custom user interface running on top of Android 4.4 that I haven’t seen in other products.
The device comes with Remote+ air mouse, a power adapter, a backup IR remote control, an external dual band 5dB Wi-Fi antenna, HDMI and AV cables, a USB cable, and a user’s manual. Remote+ features a gyroscope (for air mouse function), a D-pad and buttons for gaming and XBMC navigation, and a built-in microphone. It’s not clear what kind of batteries are used with the remote.
Probox2 EX is available for pre-order now on W2COMP for $149.99 including shipping, with delivery expected for August 8. It’s exactly the same price as MINIX NEO X8-H with NEO M1 air mouse, and slightly more than Tronsmart Vega S89-H + TSM1 air mouse. However, both Probox2 EX and MINIX X8 comes with eMMC, against NAND flash for Vega S89-H, and Probox2 EX air mouse seems to have more features than M1 air mouse. However, one of the main advantages of MINIX is their regular firmware update and user’s forums. Based on Probox2 Ultimate (RK3066) history, I expect Probox2 EX to receive firmware upgrades, but there’s currently no user’s community. More details can be found on Probox2 EX product page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|