There are several Android media player with a digital TV tuner on the market, such as WeTek Play, but most, if not all, are based on Amlogic AML8726-MX dual core Cortex A9 processor, and so far, I have not seen quad core Android TV boxes with a built-in tuner. This is about to change thanks to Videostrong K1 an Android 4.4 media player powered by Amlogic S805 quad core processor, and an optional DVB-T2 tuner.
- SoC – Amlogic S805 quad core Cortex A5 processor @ 1.5GHz with a quad core Mali-450MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3 (512MB, 2GB as option)
- Storage – 4 or 8 GB NAND flash (Options: 16 or 32GB), micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4, AV (Composite and YPbPr supported)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF
- Tuners – DVB-T2 Tuner with RF In and Out
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi (dual band optional), and optional Bluetooth
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver, power LED
- Power – 12V/1A
The device runs Android 4.4 with XBMC pre-installed, and comes with an IR remote control, a power adapter, an HDMI cable, and a user’s manual. I could not find any details about the included software for DVB. Compared to devices with AML8726-MX, you should probably expect similar CPU performance, but the GPU will be much faster, and the system will also support H.265 /1080p hardware video decode.
[Update: Another model with similar specs, Venz T2, is already listed on Aliexpress for $60].
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.