When Coolship keyboard computer was announced in 2013, it caught the attention of some people, but unfortunately the crowdfunding campaign was a disaster despite reaching their funding target, and few people, if any, ever received the device. But if you are a nostalgic and still would like a Commodore C64-like computer in a keyboard, a company call Acooo has designed OneBoard PRO+ based on Rockchip RK3288 processor and with a backlit mechanical keyboard housed in an aluminum case.
- SoC – Rockchip RK3288 Quad Core Cortex A17 up to 1.8GHz with ARM Mali-T764 GPU supporting OpenGL ES1.1/2.0/3.0, Open VG1.1, OpenCL, DirectX11
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC flash + SD card slot up to 32GB
- Keyboard – 83-keys QWERTY keyboard with backlit keys made of ABS plastic
- Video Output / Input – HDMI output, DVI input
- Audio Output / Input – HDMI, 3.5 mm jack for headphone
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port for Android only, 1x USB 2.0 port to connect a mouse.
- Misc – Power button
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 332 x 178 x 40 mm
- Weight – 2.76 kg
The Android 4.4 keyboard comes with a power adapter and cable, a “PC-line connect cable” with DVI connector on one side, and HDMI + USB on the other side, an HDMI cable, and a “DIY accessory tool box”. The keyboard is actually designed be used both as an Android system and a normal keyboard for your PC or Mac, acting as a dual operating system computer. The connection diagram below makes it clearer.
So the PC line is for the display and keyboard connection to your computer, and the video is always outputted via HDMI, but a USB mouse can be connected on a USB port and be used by both the computer and keyboard. The top right Yin/Yang key is used to switching between Android 4.4 and the computer input. Chinese speakers may want to have a look at the promo video.
I quite like the idea, and the design looks pretty neat, although I would have personally preferred a 104-key keyboard with a numpad. The price, however, is what may put off most people, as it sells for $289 on Banggood, or $299 on Aliexpress. For reference, OneBoard PRO+ can be found for 1299 to 2099 CNY on Taobao ($207 to $335 US).
Thanks to Onebir for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|