Xiaomi has decided to enter the sports camera market with an inexpensive 1080p action camera called Xiaomi Yi that will sell for 399 CNY ($64) in China, and outspecs the $135 entry-level Go Pro Hero camera.
- SoC – Ambarella A7LS ARM1136 SoC
- System Memory – N/A
- Storage – Some internal storage for firmware, plus a micro SD slot for pictures/videos (up to 64GB)
- 16MP Sony Exmor R BSI Back-illuminated CMOS Image Sensor
- Aspheric HD Optical Glass Lens / F2.8 Large Aperture 155° Ultra Wide Angle
- 1080p 60/48/30/24fps, up to 960p60, 720p120, 480p240 video recording
- Multiple photo shooting modes: Single shot, Self-Timer, Time-lapse, Burst Shot
- Display – None
- Video Output – micro HDMI port
- Audio – Dual-channel 96 KHz sampling rate, 92 dBa SNR
- Connectivity – WiFi & Bluetooth 4.0 (Broadcom) for connection with Android / iOS devices
- Sensors – ST High Performance 3-Axis G-sensor
- USB – micro USB port for charging
- Misc – Power button, power indicator (Blue/Purple/Red)
- Battery – 1100mAh LiPo battery (Panasonic) with TI charger IC
- IP Rating – Unspecified, but is said to be water-resistant up to 40 meters under water with an additional waterproof housing
- Dimensions – 60.4 x 42 x 21.2 mm
- Weight – 72 grams
Based on Ambarella SoC product brief, the company provides an SDK for eCos µITRON real-time operating system, but A7LS can also run Linux simultaneously with the RTOS.
Two versions of the camera are available: the basic version with the camera, battery, and a USB cable, and the travel version that adds a monopod / selfie stick and costs 499 CNY ($80). The camera also supports 1/4″-20 tripods and other mounts accessories such as an helmet mount, and a cat harness.
I could not find availability information, but the camera is already up for pre-order in white or green starting at $85 on several Chinese e-retailers like GeekBuying, XiaomiShop (probably unrelated to Xiaomi), or ibuygou. Bear in mind that although they accept pre-orders, they still have no clear idea when the product will actually ship. More information, including video samples at different resolutions and frame rates, can be found on Xiaomi Yi Camera page (Chinese).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
16 Replies to “Xiaomi Yi Full HD Action Camera Sells for $64”
Comparison with a GoPro model would be helpful; also does it share the dimensions? (eg so it could be used with the ubiquitous GoPro accessories)
It looks similar, but adds a few connectors including HDMI output. It’s also more expensive.
yes, except Xiaomi is on a brand building assault and is willing to sell quality (!) products at minimal profit. Their camera, while build around same Ambarella SDK as JS5000, will have better quality sensor/optics at lower price point. Just like their power bank is REALLY good and delivers stated capacity.
Xiaomi aims to be a leader, and so far they are the ones other chinese companies clone, copy and counterfeit. I imagine western corporations are starting to get worried.
I really hope it has av out. It would make it a really nice cam for a multicopter.
Price @ Geekbuying is now $99.
Putting a camera reference board in a box and calling it Gopro wasn’t exactly huge creativity… Perhaps if western companies exercised a bit they’d have less to worry about from cloning.
Looks like more recent chipset:
Geekbuying has stock now: http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/03/09/yi-action-camera-in-stock/
So I assume others have it too, and it’s not just pre-order, and not sure when they will ship…
~$130 on DX with a 32GB micro SD card – http://www.dx.com/p/xiaomi-xiaoyi-1080p-16mp-cmos-sports-camera-camcorder-w-wi-fi-bluetooth-4-0-white-32gb-tf-379137?Utm_rid=93072394&Utm_source=affiliate
some reviews (with sample videos):
The yi have HDMI port and no screen, please add this detail to the specs.
I cant find the sensor size or model, anyone known that?
also, have this camera ISO manual control? and what is the max ISO?
Pre-sale for $69.99 on Geekbuying http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Xiaoyi-WiFi-Action-Camera-16MP-1080P-60FPS-Ambarella-A7LS-155-Degree-Wide-Lens-Bluetooth-40M-Diving-Sports-DV—White–Basic–344754.html
Considering it sells for $64 locally, so really looks like a good deal.
$74 here until 30th April:
Cheaper ($56) model, similar but lower fps
But Xiaomi Yi is $67 here for a while: