There are a few Android TV boxes on the market with digital tuners (DVB-T2, DVB-S2, ATSC..), such as WeTek Play or VideoStrong K1, but unless you install some “special” app like OSCAM, you’ll only be able to watch Free-to-air channels. Shenzhen SDMC Technology DV7810-T2 Android set-top box adds a conditional access smartcard slot to work with the built-in DVB-T2 tuner.
- SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core Cortex A9 processor @ 2.0GHz with an octa core Mali-450MP6 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3 (1GB optional)
- Storage – 8GB NAND flash (Options: 4, 16 or 32GB), SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4b, AV
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi (dual band optional) with external antenna, and Bluetooth 4.0
- Tuner – DVB-T / DVB-T2 Tuner (MXL608+AVL6762) with RF In and Out
- Conditional Access – CA smartcard slot. Supports Conax and Novel-SuperTV solutions.
- DRM – Verimatrix, Playready, Widevine
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver, power LED, LED display on front panel. 3.5 mm IR jack
- Power – 12V/1A; 6W typical power consumption
- Dimensions – 170 x 125 x 27 mm (Plastic + aluminum casing)
- Weight – 326 grams
The box comes with a remote control, a user’s manual, a power adapter, and AV and HDMI cables by default. This set-top box is running Android 4.4, and is said to support Beenius and HbbTV middleware, but I’ve been told the European standard HbbTV has not been implemented in the box yet. Seven days EPG, USB PVR, Timeshifting, program playback, and “timing playing” are other features supported by the system.
This box is probably not suited for selling directly to individuals, as I assume some sort of conditional access integration with content providers is required (TBC), but the company lists its Android set-top box on Alibaba, and on its own website.
Thanks to CSylvain for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.