RF Digital launched RFDuino Bluetooth Low Energy board in 2013/2014, and the company has now developed Simblee module, whose name is derived from “Simple” and “BLE”, and offers low latency (3ms) and integrates a user application that’s automatically and temporary loaded to your smartphone or tablet upon connection. The module is also part of an add-on board (RFD77201) for RFDuino board.
- MCU – ARM Cortex M0 micr-controller (Nordic nRF51822???)
- Memory/Storage – 24KB RAM and 128KB flash for user application
- Bluetooth Smart / LE
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) Stack
- Simblee interference immunity
- 3ms latency (for connection); 10us accuracy (jitter)
- -93dBm receiver sensitivity
- -55dBm to +4dBm TX power
- Physical range adjustable from a few inches to hundreds of feet
- Integrated antenna, integrated shield
- 29 GPIOs (flexible pin configuration)
- 6x ADC inputs
- 4x PWM outputs
- 2x SPI master/slave, 2x I2C, 1 x UART
- Security – Built in AES encryption engine
- Sensors – Temperature sensor, battery/supply voltage monitoring
- Power Consumption
- <3uA ULP with clock running (run for years on a coin cell)
- 600nA ULP Sleep mode
- 8mA TX @ 0dBm; 12mA TX @ +4dBm
- 10mA RX
- Dimensions – 7mm x 10mm x 2.2mm
- Compliance – FCC, IC, CE, TELEC compliance approved
The module has space on the flash and RAM for user applications built for iPhone and Android apps programmed without Xcode or the Android SDK, Simblee is programmed using an Arduino IDE with the code loaded using the onchip UART bootloader or via OTA programming. Simblee mobile browser, which you need to install on your mobile device, can then detect the Simblee module, and load the app stored in it on demand.
You can watch the promotion video for some more information. That’s mainly a promotional video with lots of superlatives…, but there are also some interesting demos that show the capabilities of the module.
The Simblee module is said to sell for less than $6 in quantities, but it can also be purchase on Semiconductor store for $19 in single quantity, while Simblee RFDuino adapter goes for $29. More details can be found on Simblee website.
Thank you Nanik!
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|