Poynt Smart Terminal is an Android based payment terminal with a small screen facing the customer, and a larger screen facing the sales staff, that accept payments from various sources such a magnetic strip or chip (EMV) cards, Bluetooth, NFC (e.g. for Apple Pay), or QR code. The company has made a developer’s kit with the hardware and SDK available a few months ago.
While the exact hardware specifications have not been disclosed, we can still look into the main features and ports of this payment terminal:
- Merchant facing – 7″ touchscreen display (1280×800)
- Customer facing – 4.3″ touchscreen display (800×480)
- Connectivity – GSM/3G/4G modem, NFC, Bluetooth, and WiFi
- Payment – Hybrid EMV / MSR reader slot, QR and barcode scanner, Bluetooth, NFC
- Audio – Speaker and microphone
- Camera – Merchant facing camera
- USB – 1x micro USB port for charging and possibly external devices (e.g. printers)
- Misc – Thermal printer, Power, printer release, and volume buttons
- Power – Lithium-on battery. Charged via charging pins or micro USB port
Three applications are pre-installed on the device: Terminal, Register and Insights, and the company has signed up with other developers including Vend (POS), Kabbage (SMB credit lines), Swarm (store analytics), Boomtown (tech support), Bigcommerce (online storefronts) and Intuit (back office).
Developers can purchase a development kit for $499 including a smart terminal and some other unspecified goodies, and/or request the free Poynt SDK to develop apps for the payment terminal, as well as access the API documentation on Poynt’s developer page. The hardware in the development is a “limited developer edition” without the same security controls as the product that will be sent to merchants in order to ease debugging.
If you are a merchant interested in the solution, or just curious to find out more details, you can check out poynt.com.
Thanks to Nanik for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|