How to Update Firmware on Amlogic S905 TV Boxes

Videostrong has just sent me a new firmware for K1 Plus mini PC based on Amlogic S905 processor. The procedure is basically the same as for previous Amlogic devices, but I’ve still documented the step to follow an update. Please note that devices from decent brands should have OTA updates implemented, so it may not be needed, except for the cheapest devices, or in case of network issues.

The firmware update procedure below can be done in any computer, including the Android TV box itself. The firmware is specific to K1 Plus, so if you have another TV box, you’ll need to change the download link to the firmware for your device.

1. Download the firmware file (e.g. K1 Plus 2015-11-23.rar)
  2. Extract the compressed file to the root of a micro SD card, or on any other external storage.
    Amlogic_S905_Firmware_Upgrade_Files
    You should have a few files as shown above, including a zip file (please don’t uncompress that one). The name and number of files will depend on the firmware. Note that the SD card does not need to be empty, also it might be better to check files from previous firmware updates are not located in the root of the device.
  3. If you’ve done so in another computer, connect the micro SD card or external storage (USB) to the TV box.
  4. Start the Update & Backup in the TV box
    Update&Backup_App
  5. If Online Update does not work, then click on Select in the app, and it will scan for .zip files on all your external drives.
    Amlogic_Firmware_ScanningSelect the zip file corresponding to the firmware you’ve just downloaded.
  6. If you want to keep your apps, settings and media files, make sure Wipe Data and Wipe Media are not checked, then click on Update.
    Amlogic_Update&Backup_sd_card_update
  7. At this stage it will ask you to confirm you want to “Start the OTA update”.Amlogic_S905_Local_Firmware_Update
  8. Click Update, and your TV box will reboot, and start the update shortly showing the Android update animation
    Amlogic_Android_Firmware_Update_Animation
  9. Be patient, and after a while your system will reboot, update Android app, and load the Android Home Screen. You are ready to go.

If you need to update because the system does not boot properly and can’t access the Update&Backup app, you may have to press the firmware update/recovery button before powering up the device, so that it automatically detect the firmware in the micro SD card or USB drive. You can check Amlogic S802 firmware update instructions to find out more details about that specific procedure, which should remain the same for Amlogic S905/S912.

Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon
Advertisements
newest most voted
FergusL
FergusL
4 years ago

Do you think these update apps could be used to flash linux to memory? Since they also bundle uboot and probably a linux kernel and rootfs.
That would remain slightly dangerous since the update can go wrong and soft-brick the device…

massimo
massimo
4 years ago

do you have try some 4k h.265 10bit?

pégaso
pégaso
4 years ago

But do not run in the MX Player? Because in other tests with boxes with android had files that the MX Player swirled and KODI not.

Martin
Martin
4 years ago

Will this work with the Beelink Mini Mx?

Martin
Martin
4 years ago

Shame. The Beelink is annoying me the status bar wont go away in any apps, trying to watch Youtube and Twitch and the status bar is above the video.

A lot of apps start in phone mode as well as the firmware thinks it is the phone version.

I need a ROM that is basically Android TV.

gog
gog
4 years ago

how to gain root access ?

trackback

[…] the review until I get a new firmware. I did notice however that the firmware did not include Update&Backup app as found on K1 Plus, but instead an OTA Updater app, also called OTA Update Center, that happens to […]

cytruss
cytruss
4 years ago

Root by minix neo u1 method work’s for my k1 plus.

elenap86
elenap86
4 years ago

the new firmware dated 28/11 you mention above, what are the fixes? I have two of these boxes and they have a display issue on one of my tvs and I want to see if this is something that will get fixed.

plutus
plutus
4 years ago

does this firmware fix the google store issue?
could you provide a direct link for the recovery image if anything goes wrong?

plutus
plutus

@cytruss

does rooting allow to install a clean version of kodi?

plutus
plutus
4 years ago

I guess that for reinstalling kodi I have to
-root the device
-uninstall kodi (using titanium or something similar?)
-install kodi downloaded from kodi website

However, I’m a bit “scared” as at the moment kodi doesn’t even appear in the playstore and installation of the apk fails…

plutus
plutus

cnxsoft :
@plutus
I don’t think you need root to install Kodi.

could you please try? installation fails (using the apk available on kodi website)

Ivan
Ivan
4 years ago

Hello, after installing the update 20151123 the homescreen of the app Netflix starts slow. It’s quit enoying. Are there others that have this problem ? Does anyone knows a solution ? Can anyone tell me why the specificaties of K1 plus say drm playready, … are optional. How to install this ?

I found this update on the net, but didn’t installed it yet : http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/12/04/k1-plus-amlogic-s905-4k-kodi-tv-box-firmware-20151204/

Ivan
Ivan
4 years ago

Hello again, I asked videostrong and this was the answer :

For our products 905 k1 PLUS , Hardware is supports the DRM playready . and Amlogic S905 CPU aslo supports it .

If you need make Playready , You need contact with Mircrosoft and buy the Playready Key first.

What does this mean ?
Regards

Ivan
Ivan

@ cnxsoft
Thank you for the reply.
This is so weird ! They say that the device supports DRM playready … but it’s useless …
Is there no other solution … getting other firmware on this device ?
Thx

4 years ago

Just got my K1 Plus today from geekbuying, I cannot update the firmware to 1204 every time I try it gives me an “Secure Check… Secure check failed. Installation aborted. OTA Failed!” when I do it through the “Update & Restore” app.
If I update fw from the bootloader it gets past the Secure check, verifies, “patching system image unconditionally” then does force_auto_update script and then never updates my fw to 1204, the background always shows the “error” image
got the update from http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.php/2015/12/04/k1-plus-amlogic-s905-4k-kodi-tv-box-firmware-20151204/
cannot get it update.

steve
steve
4 years ago

did you put the image file into the sd card root?

@steve
I put everything provided in the .rar to the root of my sd card, my fat32 usb, still nothing, (yes the recovery.img file).

steve
steve
4 years ago

and what about the images provided in this article? they worked fine for me, I didn’t test the 1204 fw.
Anyway, I cannot re-install a vanilla Kodi version, that’s the only issue I have so far

@steve
I havent actually tried the 1123 fw in this post…may as well try and see now. I didnt try before because I already have 20151123 installed when I got the K1 Plus yesterday.
does your Build version also say:
p20x-userdebug 5.1.1 LMY47V 20151123.183302.V1031 test-keys
?

Ivan
Ivan

@Steve
Please try : https://mega.nz/#!cUwj1RyT!XcTiehnJ3nrgn7xxbBRwhbTBJ7il4yKv7EjQg8dDBng
It’s the latest with support of DRM Widevine

@Ivan
Wow its actually “new” where did you get it from?
asking because google is no help at all. keep hitting 1123 fw.

steve
steve
4 years ago

@ivan what is DRM Widevine for?

Ivan
Ivan

@Zubin
@Zubin
Straight from videostrong 🙂

@Ivan
sorry if Im being too dumb, can you post a link to where he posts the new frimwares? all I can find about videostrong is his twitter, I dont see him posting any links to a page or DL link there.

Gil
Gil

@Ivan
Steve – will U please upload the latest firmware again …………I guess U have a January firmware
10x
Gil

@Gil
currently 01-04 should be the latest. (January)

Gil
Gil

@Zubin
will U be kind and send a link …..
it is impossible to find it on the videostrong site
10x
Gil

Florian
Florian

Hello everyone,

I got an OTA update for my mxq pro quick play (dated of 25 of january), but impossible to install, the box says “Your system was damaged, wireless update is disabled”. Does someone have the link of this firmware to install it manually?

Thank you!

Florian
Florian
4 years ago

The problem is that I have the mxq pro “quick play” that is slightly different from this one. I have no backup or any accessible firmware that is working for sure. So I am a little scared about trying this update.
Any idea on how to backup my rom first?

stef
stef

@Ivan
for me, this update is in error with the message:

this is a package for “p20x” device: this is a “p20x ddrsize=”.

do you know what it say ?

Florian
Florian
4 years ago

Thank you I just saw that too! Do you know the password (encryption key) to unlock the files?

atsop
atsop
4 years ago

@Florian put any word you want , then encrypte. close the encryption window. then go back with your browser, and then you can see the files.
Told us about your flashing results

atsop
atsop
4 years ago

I make the update , with the sd card file without problems.
Its the Build-Number: LMY47V-2016012551551
ROM_Version:102

hanza
hanza
4 years ago

atsop , is devise still rooted after upgrade?

steve
steve
4 years ago

@atsop did you update a k1 plus box? any improvement?

on some other posts I read about a bug concerning the volume that changes without using the remotE…same issue here

and again ,no way to install kodi TV