I feel like I’m living in another world after writing a title combining Arduino, Intel and Windows 10, but that’s exactly what LattePanda is promising with a development board featuring both an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 processor and an Atmel AVR MCU, and Windows 10 as the operating system.
- SoC – Intel Atom x5-Z8300 “Cherry Trail” quad core processor @ 1.44 GHz (Burst frequency: 1.84 GHz) with Intel Gen8 HD graphics @ 500 MHz
- System Memory – 2 to 4 GB DDR3L
- Storage – 32 or 64 GB eMMC, micro SD slot
- MCU – Atmel Atmega32u4 micro-controller
- Video Output / Display – HDMI, and MIPID DSI connector
- Audio I/O – HDMI, 3.5mm audio port
- Connectivity – Ethernet, WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 2x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB port for power
- Serial – 1x from Intel SoC, 1x from Atmel MCU
- Intel processor header with 2 GPIOs
- Atmel MCU “Arduino” header with 20 GPIOs
- 7x 3-pin relimate connectors compatible with DFRobot “Gravity” sensors.
- Misc – Wake-on-LAN support
- Power Supply – 5V via micro USB port
- Dimensions – 88 x 70 mm
The company also mentions the board is Android and Linux compatible, but it’s not clear if they plan to do much work on these two operating systems.
The claim that ” Lattepanda comes pre-installed with a full edition of Windows 10, including powerful tools such as Visual Studio, NodeJS, Java, Processing, and more!” probably means it’s only a trial version based on their aggressive pricing, and lack of details about the exact version. I assume you’ll be able to program the Arduino part, just like as if you had an Arduino board connected to a Windows 10 PC. Tutorials and documentation should eventually be posted on Lattepanda.com, but right now there are only a few pictures.
The company plan to launch a Kickstarter campaign in order to raise at least $150,000 for mass production. A 45 GBP ($67) early bird pledge would get you a LattePanda board with 2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, and Windows 10, with the pricing going up to 53 GBP (~$79) after the first 100 units are taken. A higher version with 4GB RAM and 64GB eMMC, called LattePanda Enhanced, is also offered for $129, and starter kits with a 7″ display will also be available. Shipping is 13 GBP (~$20), and delivery is scheduled for March 2016.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|