While there’s now a decent choice of Android TV boxes with DVB-S2 or DVB-T2 tuners, devices with ATSC tuners are a little harder to come by, and the few Android devices I know of include WeTek Play, U4 Quad, and some Mygica (Geniatech) and Vygica ATSC Android set-top boxes. SkyStream X5 is now another option, based on Amlogic S812, mostly advertised as an Android streaming player, but still with one ATSC tuner to watch free-to-air television in North America, and a few smaller countries.
SkyStream X5 specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core Cortex A9 processor @ 2.0 GHz with Mail-450 octa-core GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB flash + SD card slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 1.4 with HDCP support + 3 RCA ports for composite and stereo audio
- Video Codecs – MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, ISO, TS, VOB, DAT, AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV, 3GP, 3GPP, FLC, WMV, FLV, RM
Video Subtitles: SRT, SUB, IDX, PGS
- Audio Codecs – ACC, AC-3, ADPCM, AMR-NB, MIDI, MP2, MP3, MS-ADPCM, PCS, RV40 Vorbis WMA, AAC+ (HE-AAC vi), eAAC+ (HE-AAC v2)
- Tuner – ATSC Tuner with DVR function
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports
- Power Supply – 5V@2A (100-240V, 50/60Hz)
- Dimensions – 16.5 x 13.3 x 2.5 cm
The video below shows the DTV app and DVR function, which looks very similar to the DVB app on other Android digital TV receivers based on Amlogic processors such as HD18T or Mygica ATV586. You can also check out their YouTube account for other videos including a 30-minute Kodi tutorial, Quick Start Guide, and more.
Thanks to Enrique for tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.