Based on the number of comments I get when I organize giveaways, I think people like freebies. I don’t have anything to give away today, but others have launched competitions to win free developments, and Seeed Studio is having a promotional event with some discount on IoT boards.
Qualcomm has declared March as Maker Month, and is asking developer to tell them what they’d make with a DragonBoard 410c board for a chance to win the board and up to $5,000. All you have to do is to submit your idea on DragonBoardContest.com, and every week, the company will give 7 to 10 boards (31 boards in total) to the people with the best ideas as selected by popular vote. The contest has two part:
- Part 1 – Submit your idea as mentioned above – Open between March 1 and March 31, is open to everybody above 13 years old in most countries and regions, except where prohibited likely due to strange legal reasons, and for example resident of Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Quebec,… can not participate. You can play once a week.
- Part 2 – Showcase your idea. The 31 finalists will then be invited to submit a 100 word essay and less than 3 minutes video explaining the work done on the theme with the winner selected by a panel getting a $5,000 prize. Submissions must be receive by April 25, 2016.
The second contest, organized by Pi Supply, is much easier as you just have to answer a simple question to be entered in a draw to win of 5 prizes:
- Top Prize – A Raspberry Pi 3 Starter Kit! Includes a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, Keyboard, Mouse, HMDI cable, 2.5 A Power Supply, 8 GB Class 10 SD Card, Case and a Tote Bag to carry it all in.
- Second Prize – Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, Power Supply, Case and SD Card
- Third to Fifth Prizes – Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
You can increase your changes by sharing your lucky link on social networks. The contest ends on March 7, with randomly selected winners announced on March 10.
Seeed Studio is not giving anything away, but they do have some interesting deals for March including:
- BeagleBone Green for $35
- LinkIt ONE for $39
- LinkIt Smart 7688 and 7688 DUO for respectively $10.9 and $13.50
Shipping is not included, but usually quite reasonable.
The company is also offering free coupon not working on promotional items above (I know I’ve tried):
- $5 discount with 5seeedisback coupon on any order
- $20 discount with 20seeedisback coupon for order above $150
- $50 discount with 50seeedisback coupon for order above $250
- $100 discount with 100seeedisback coupon for order above $350
I’ve also noticed they have a “It’s Pi Day” planned, so it might be worth coming back to their website on March 14 if you are interested in RPi boards or accessories. They’ll also have discounts for tools and Arduino later this month.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.