A new Amlogic roadmap reveals the company will release at least three new processors this year: Amlogic S905X, Amlogic S912 and Amlogic S905D all based on four to eight ARM Cortex A53 cores, and that Android 6.0 support is coming to Amlogic S905 X/D and S912 processors.
Since the processors are in development, there are always some tweaks and new information about the specifications, as now Amlogic S905X and S912 quad and octa core processors will be clocked at 2.0 GHz (instead of just 1.5GHz as previously reported), and S905X will support 2-layer PCB, while all other recent Amlogic processors require 4-layer, which promises some very cheap 4K TV boxes with H.265 and VP9 support. Amlogic S912 will apparently not support USB 3.x since the new document only shows 3x USB 2.0 interfaces for the SoC.
Amlogic S905D is similar to S905X except it supports Gigabit Ethernet (RGMII), TS video input, which would make it suitable for tuners, and RGB interface meaning it could be found in tablets too:
- CPU – Quad core Cortex A53 @ up to 2.0 GHz
- GPU – Penta-core ARM Mali-450MP @ up to 750 MHz
- Memory I/F – 16/32-bit DDR3/4, LPDDR2/3 up to 2GB, DDR2400
- Storage I/F – NAND flash @ BCH60, eMMC 5310, SD, NOR flash
- Video Decoder – 4Kp60 10-bit H.265, 4Kp60 VP9 Profile 2, 4Kp30 H.264
- Video Encoder – 1080p60 H.264
- Ethernet – 10/100/1000 RGMII, 10/100M PHY
- Audio – Stereo DACs, I2S, S/PDIF, DMIC
- USB – 2x USB 2.0
- Video Output – 4Kp60 HDMI 2.0a, CVBS, RGB
- Video Input – TS in, DVP
- HDR – HDR10, royalty-free Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)
- Package – 15 x 15 mm BGA (S905 is 13 x 13 mm)
- PCB – 4-layer
I don’t have much information about Amlogic Android 6.0 Marshmallow SDK, except it’s been available to developers having access to Amlogic git source code repository for about a month.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|