You may remember SPMC (Semper Media Center), a fork of Kodi/XBMC, was released a few years ago to fix some issues with Rockchip processors that would not make it to Kodi mainline code. Koying, the project’s developer, has now forked Kodi 16.1 to add some bug fixes and experimental features, and released SPMC 16.1.1.
Changelog compared to Kodi 16.1:
- Based on Kodi 16.1
- HD Audio pass-through (Nvidia Shield AndroidTV + some Amlogic devices such as Minix U1 & Wetek Core at least)
- Autostart at boot (xbmc.autostart=true in xbmc_env.properties)
- GUI size setting (Allows 4K GUI on Nvidia Shield)
- Only give codec priority to Mediacodec (Surface) for 4K
- Only stop video on minimize for Mediacodec (Surface)
- “System” screensaver to enable daydream; all other screensavers disable daydream
- Get removable storage names from system
- Basic Bluray 3D iso playback (experimental; amlogic)
- Android TV recommendations and voice search (experimental)
- SSL enabled MySql
- Stop video playback when screen goes off
- Setting to force SMB v1 (might solve windows connection issues)
- The ever good ol’ “Import All” option
- “Back” = Stop in fullscreen video
Bear in mind that Koying’s main hardware platform is Nvidia Shield Android TV box, so this particular device is most likely to get the best support, but Amlogic devices and Amazon Fire TV could also get some love.
You can try SPMC 16.1.1 on any Android 4.2 and greater devices by downloading the apk for ARM or x86 on SPMC website, and soon on Google Play. The source code can be found on github, which Koying also uses as a bug tracker.
Thank you Harley!
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|