With their X9 and X1 models, Zidoo selected entry-level hardware, but their latest Zidoo X6 Pro Android TV box, the company went up to mid-range devices with a Rockchip RK3368 octa-core 64-bit processor, 2GB RAM, 16GB eMMC, Gigabit Ethernet, and 802.11ac WiFi.
Zidoo X6 Pro technical specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3368 octa core Cortex A53 processor @ 1.5GHz (or is it 1.2GHz?) with PowerVR G6110 GPU
- System Memory- 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB flash (Meta). micro SD card slot up to 32GB
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60Hz with CEC and7.1CH pass-through support, 3.5mm AV jack (Composite shared with stereo audio)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV (stereo), optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 a/b/g/n + 802.11ac (AP6335 module), Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports (including one that supports OTG)
- Misc – Power button, IR receiver
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 10.8 x 10.8 x 2.1 cm
The TV box will run Android 5.1, and ship with a remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user’s manual.
On the hardware front, Zidoo X6 Pro has features very similar to other RK3368 mini PCs, but one selling point of Zidoo boxes is their regular firmware updates. For example, they may have released Zidoo X1 a bit too early, but they were quick to provide a fix for many of the playback issues found in Kodi.
Zidoo X6 Pro firmware should have a single partition to avoid “storage full” issues while installing apps, power should be handled by an MCU for a clean power off, and power on “from the sofa”, while a “custom version of Kodi 15” will handle H.265 hardware decoding, 7.1 audio pass-through, 24Hz automatic frame rate switching, and 3D video (BD 3D MVC) support. Regular firmware updates will also be provided over the air.
Zidoo X6 Pro is now listed for pre-order on Geekbuying for $99 with shipping scheduled to start on September 30, and should soon show up on Amazon US. A few more details can be found on Zidoo X6 Pro product page.