Jiayu S3 and S3 Plus are your typical Android smartphones powered by Mediatek MT6752/MT6753 octa core Cortex A53 processor with 3GB RAM, 16GB flash, and a 5.5″ touch screen display. The news here is that Jiayu Germany (a reseller, not the manufacturer), and Team M.A.D (Mediatek Android Developers) comprised of XDA members, have releasing three custom ROMs based on Android 6.0.1 for the smartphone: Cyanogenmod13, Paranoid Android (AOSPA) and AICP (Android Ice Cold Project), which contrast with my Iocean MT6752 smartphone still stuck on Android 4.4.4.
- SoC- Mediatek MT6753 Octa-core 64-bit ARM Cortex A53 processor @ 1.3 GHz, with ARM Mali-T720 GPU
- System Memory – 3GB RAM
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC + micro SD slot up to 64GB
- Display – 5.5” IPS capacitive touchscreen display; 1920×1080 resolution
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi , Bluetooth 4.0, GPS / A-GPS, FM Radio
- Cellular Network
- 2G – 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- 3G – UMTS/WCDMA 900/1900/2100 MHz; TD-SCDMA 1900/2000 MHz
- 4G – FDD LTE B3/B7/B20; TDD LTE B39/B40/B41
- Dual micro SIM cards
- Audio – Speaker and microphone, 3.5 mm audio jack for headphones
- USB – 1x micro USB OTG port
- 13.0MP rear-facing with flash light and auto-focus
- 5.0MP front-facing camera
- Sensors – Gravity sensor
- Battery – 3,000 mAh Lithium battery.
- Dimensions – 152 x 75.5 x 8.9 mm
- Weight – 158 grams
The phone normally runs Android 5.1, and ships with the battery, a USB cable, a charger, and a user’s manual.
Beside the firmware release, you’ll also find the source code for Linux 3.10.65 and “Device” source tree for both phones, as well as proprietary vendor files on MediatekAndroidDeveloper’s Github account. Sadly there’s no Wiki or documentation at all, but it should be possible to build it from source if you are familiar with CyanogenMod.
Jiayu S3 does not appear to be for sale anymore, but Jiayu S3+ is still sold for $155.99 on Banggood, and Aliexpress.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One Reply to “Jiayu S3 and S3 Plus Smartphones Get Android 6.0 Firmware Releases with Source Code”
I’ve got confirmation that Jiayu (China) – the manufacturer – was not involved at all in this code release, and only Jiayu Germany – the reseller, unrelated to the manufacturer – took part in the development.