MINIX may have officially announced MINIX NEO Z83-4 Cherry trail mini PC at IFA 2016, but they also showcased NEO U9-H Android TV box based on an “Octa-core cortex A53 processor with ARM Mali-820MP3 GPU”, which the company confirmed to be Amlogic S912-H processor with Dolby and DTS licenses.
I also asked the company whether they had specs sheet for the new model, but the replied they did not have finalized specifications to share, nor exact pricing and release date. But we can still derive info from a video on HDBlog.it showcasing an early development model at IFA 2016.
MINIX NEO U9-H preliminary specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S912-H octa-core ARM Cortex A53 processor @ up to 1.5 GHz with ARM Mali-820MP3
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash and micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60Hz with CEC, HDCP 2.2, and HDR/HDR10 support
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF, 3.5mm headphone jack, 3.5mm microphone jack
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 4.1
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 ports, 1x micro USB OTG port
- Misc – IR receiver, power button, security lock
The TV box will run Android 6.0.1. We can see the unit in action below (in Italian).
One interesting point is that Widewine Level 1 DRM is supported, so some premium video streaming app will support HD and maybe 4K UHD,
and HBO Go might be one of the apps to benefit. HDR videos were also showcased in the video.
HDBlog also mentioned the box should be ready mid October, and expects the price to be around 150 Euros, likely including an air mouse, and VAT.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|