Since some of the products I review come with a fan, I checked some sound level meters a couple of years ago, but since they were a little too expensive for my limited use, I skipped for the time being. However, while browsing some promotions or new arrivals on DealExtreme, I’ve come across UNI-T UT355 “Noise Detector Decibel Noise Tester” which sells for $15.56 including shipping.
- Noise Levels & Accuracy – 30 to 130 dB with 0.1 dB resolution, +/- 1.5 dB accuracy
- Sample rate – Fast: 125ms; Slow: 1 second
- Measurement features – MAX/MIN, Data hold, overload indication (OL)
- Display – 1.64″ LCD display with backlight
- Buttons – Power, FAST/SLOW selection, MAX/MIN/normal selection, HOLD/BL for data hold (short press) or turning on/off the backlight (long press)
- Power Supply – 3x AAA batteries; 5 minutes auto power off
- Power Consumption – Active: < 40 mA; Off: < 10 uA
- Dimensions – 15 cm x 5.2 cm x 2.7 cm
- Weight – 116 grams
You can ignore the specifications on DealExtreme, since they apparently used the ones from a UNI-T humidity and temperature sensor, but I managed to get the technical details from UNI Trend UT353 product page, and some other sellers on Amazon US ($28), eBay ($18 and up), Aliexpress ($13.5 and up), and Banggood ($17).
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.