64-bit ARM servers are starting to show up more and more for sale, and after servers such as Softiron Overdrive 1000, Avantek H270-T70, and Gigabyte MP30-AR0, System76, a company selling only Ubuntu powered computers and servers, has launched Startling Pro ARM server equipped with two Cavium ThunderX_CP 48-core processors, and a choice of two operating systems: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS 64-bit or Ubuntu 16.10 64-bit.
- Processor – 2× Cavium ThunderX_CP 48 core 64-bit ARMv8 processor @ up to 2.5 GHz (96 cores in total)
- System Memory – Up to 1024 GB quad-channel registered ECC DDR4 @ 2400MHz
- Storage – Up to 4x 3.5″ drives, 32 TB in total
- Video Output – VGA port
- Virtualization – ARM Virtualization Host Extensions
- Networking – 3x 40-Gigabit QSFP+ (Quad Small Form-factor Pluggable+), 4x 10 Gigabit SFP+, 1x Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45)
- Expansion – 1x PCI Express x16 (Gen3 x8)
- USB – 4x USB 3.0 (2x front/ 2x back)
- Serial – 1x COM port
- Misc – Power on/off button, reset button, ID switch button, LEDs (Power, ID, HHD Activity, System status, LAN Activity, ID)
- Power Supply – 2x 650 Watts with redundancy
- Dimensions – 43.0 × 4.4 × 62.5 cm
- Weight – 13 kg (based weight, varies on configuration)
Cavium has four versions of their ThunderX processor optimize for compute, storage, secure compute, and network, and ThunderX_CP model is optimized for Compute workloads such as cloud web servers, content delivery, web caching, search and social media.
You’ll find more details on System76 Starling Pro product page, and if you click on Design + Buy button at the top of that page, you’ll be able to built your server with a combination of memory, storage, rail kit, accessories, and support (Ubuntu Advantage) options. Price starts at $6,399 with 16GB + 16 GB memory for the two processors, and a 250 GB SSD, but you can go up to $27,528 by maxing out memory to 1TB (512GB per processor with 8 64GB RAM modules each) and 16TB of SSD storage (4x 4GB).
Via Olof Johansson