Motorola Lapdock may have been ahead of its time, as laptop docks for smartphone are back in vogue with products like NexDock, and Apple could soon launch their own iPhone laptop dock. Another option is Miraxess Mirabook laptop dock with a 13.3″ display, and a battery lasting up to 24 hours, that works for smartphones, development boards, and HDMI TV sticks thanks to its USB type C port.
- Display – 13.3″ IPS display with 1920×1080 resolution (non-touch, except if they raise $2 millions…)
- Audio – Speakers, 3.5mm audio jack
- Video Output – HDMI port
- Storage – SD card slot
- QWERTY keyboard & multi-touch trackpad
- Integrated USB type C cable to connect to phone, board or HDMI TV stick
- USB type C port to charge the Mirabook battery
- 2x USB type A host port
- Battery – TBD capacity good for 24 hours while charging your phone
- Dimensions – 320 x 220 x 15 mm
- Weight – 1 kg
The solution relies on SlimPort to provide video & audio over USB as it works for many products, and does not require as much (CPU) resources as DisplayLink. The latter will however be considered as a stretch goal if the campaign raises over $300,000.
The project has launched on Indiegogo with Miraxess aiming to raise at least $50,000. A $180 Early bird pledge should get you a Mirabook, while the retail price after the Indiegogo campaign is expected to be $299. Shipping will add around $15, and delivery is scheduled for December 2017.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.