RPMA is one of the many LPWAN IoT communication standards, but it does not get as much press coverage as SigFox or LoRa because it targets larger scale deployments, and is not really accessible to individuals. It’s still used by companies in many countries, and u-blox has just released SARA-S200 RPMA module that will also work with the Machine Network, also relying on RPMA and managed by Ingenu.
- Wireless Frequency – 2.4 GHz ISM
- Radio Spectrum – 80 MHz
- Occupied Bandwidth – 1 MHz
- Modulation – Dynamic – Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (D-DSSS)
- Multiple Access Scheme – Random Phase Multiple Access (RPMA)
- Transmit Power – +22 dBm
- Receive Sensitivity – -133 dBm
- Data Throughput – 100 kB per day
- Link budget – 176 dB (FCC/IC)
- Host Interface – 7-wire SPI that includes handshaking for deep sleep modes
- Power Supply – 3.2 V to 3.4 V (typ. 3.3 V); VCC BAT: 2.2V to 5.5 V
- Power Consumption – Off: 0.1 μA (typ.); deep sleep mode: 19 μA (typ.); idle mode: 22 mA (typ.); RX: 107 mA (typ.); TX: 370 mA (typ.)
- Dimensions – 26.0x 16.0 x 2.4 mm
- Weight – 3 grams
- Package – 96-pin LGA (Land Grid Array)
- Operating temperature range – -40 to +85 °C
- Certifications – FCC, ISED (formerly known as IC), RED (formerly known as R&TTE), and additional countries as deployed (pending)
The module is an update to the first RPMA module (NANO-S100), with cost and size optimization (65% smaller) that makes it suitable for application in the Smart Meter, Smart Building, Gas & Oil, Asset/Personnel Tracking and Agricultural industries. The module supports FOTA (FW updated over the air) with the ability to also update the application firmware. A development kit for SARA-S200 is also available, but I could not find any public information about it.
Pricing and availability have not been disclosed. For more information, you may visit u-blox SARA-S200 product page, or go to nternet of Things World at the Santa Clara Convention Center, CA (May 16‑18 2017), where u‑blox and Ingenu will showcase the SARA‑S200 module.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|