We’ve come so far in the smartphone market that most hardware releases are rather boring with a processor a little faster, maybe a higher resolution screen and so on, without real exciting innovations. HTC U11 does change that somewhat as the smartphone allows to interaction by squeezing the edges for example to quickly take a picture. The company calls that “Edge Sense” technology.
HTC U11 specifications:
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 octa-core processor @ up to 2.45 GHz
- System Memory – 4GB / 6GB RAM
- Storage – 64GB / 128GB flash, micro SD slot up to 2TB (shared with SIM2 slot), flex storage (aka adoptable) supported
- Display – 5.5″ Quad HD (2560 x 1440 pixels) Super LCD; 3D Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Cellular Connectivity
- Dual nano SIM
- 2G/2.5G – GSM/GPRS/EDGE @ 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- 3G – UMTS @ 800/900/1900/2100 (B5/B8/B2/B1), HSDPA 42, HSUPA 5.76
- 4G LTE – Cat 15 LTE up to 800Mbps/75 Mbps; FDD: Bands B4/B12/B17/B28/B20/B5/B8/B3/B1/B7/B32; TDD: Bands B39/B40/B38/B41; with 2CA, 3CA, 4CA Carrier Aggregation
- Other Wireless Connectivity
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5 GHz)
- BlueTooth® 4.2
- Streaming to Chromecast, DLNA, AirPlay, Miracast devices
- Localization: GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- Rear – 12MP (HTC UltraPixel 3 with 1.4μm pixel), UltraSpeed Autofocus, Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), Dual LED flash; 4K video recording; 1080p 120 fps slow motion
- Front-facing – 16MP camera, full HD 1080p video recording
- Audio – HTC USonic with Active Noise Cancellation; HTC BoomSound™ Hi-Fi edition; 3D Audio recording with 4 microphones; Hi-Res audio stereo recording; Hi-Res audio certified
- USB – USB 3.1 gen 1 type C connector with DisplayPort support
- Sensors – Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Motion G-sensor, Compass sensor, Gyro sensor, Magnetic sensor, Fingerprint sensor, Sensor Hub, Edge Sensor
- Battery – 3000 mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 support; 3G/4G talk time: up to 24.5 hours; 3G/4G standby time: up to 14 days.
- Dimensions – 153.9 x 75.9 x 7.9, 169g
- Ingress Protection Rating – IP67
The phone Android 7.1 with HTC Sense user interface. Beside Edge Sense, on the selling point of the smartphone is that it tops DxOMark Mobile camera benchmark with 90 points, and just ahead of Google Pixel with 89 points.
The smartphone can be pre-ordered in Blue, Black or Grey for $649 directly on HTC U11 product page, where you’ll also find a few more details.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
HTC are asking a Google Pixel price for this phone. Will they also provide a guarantee that it will receive Android updates for 24 months? And how long after Google releases a newer version of Android until HTC has an update ready? http://www.gsmarena.com/google_will_guarantee_pixel_android_updates_through_2018_security_patches_through_2019-news-24781.php
HTC market share has been tanking lately (since years). I’d be somewhat surprised if they’re still making phones by 2019…