Squix (Daniel Eichhorn) has designed a 2.9″ ESPaper Lite Kite is a battery powered kit based on a black and white ePaper module, and ESP-WROOM-02 module based on Espressif Systems ESP8266 WiSoC.
2.9″ ESPaper Lite Kit specifications:
- Wireless Module – ESP-WROOM-02 WiFi module with Espressif ESP8266
- Display – 2.9″ B&W ePaper module with 296×128 pixels resolution connect over SPI to ESP8266
- Debugging / Programming – 6-pin serial port header
- USB – 1x micro USB port for programming
- Misc – 3 buttons: Reset (wake up from deep sleep); S0 (flash/GPIO0); S1: user button connected to GPIO12; power switch; charging and (firmware) flashing LEDs
- Power – JST connector for LiPo battery; charging circuit
You’ll need a 3.3V USB to TTL debug board for flashing the firmware to the board, and a LiPo battery to power it up. The solution is particularly useful if you want a battery powered display that is infrequently updated, since such display only consumes electricity when updated. They could run the module for several weeks with a 800m Ah battery while updating weather info every 20 minutes. MiniGrafx library provides drivers and samples for the board. It is available on Github.
The 2.9″ ESPaper Lite kit can be purchased for $39.90, but if you want something easier to get started you may want to get the 2.9″ ESPaper Plus Kit instead for $49.90, as it adds a USB to serial converter, a 600 mAh battery, an enclosure, and a USB cable.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|