H96 Mini is a TV Box powered by Amlogic T962E quad core Cortex A53 processor that supports both HDMI output and input. When I first covered the device, it was not very clear what was possible with the HDMI input port on this particular device, and I’ve just got a confusing answer from GearBest, which implies video recording may not be working yet, or may it is…
The device was first launched for about $55 in October, and the good news is that you can now purchase it for $39.99 with coupon AH96MS. The bad news is that price is only available during daily flash sale, where 30 units are offered at 10:00 UTC until December 25, so you’d have to be right in time to get the deal. Maybe with the 30 units available per day, it will be easier than some other flash sales with a lower number.
H96 Mini hardware specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic T962E quad core ARM Cortex-A53 processor with ARM Mali-450 MP3 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB LPDDR3
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot up to 128GB
- Video I/F – HDMI 2.0a output with HDR, CEC, and HDCP 2.2 support, HDMI 2.0 input, AV port (composite)
- Audio I/F – HDMI In/Out, AV port (stereo audio), optical S/PDIF
- Video Playback – 4K HDR; 10-bit H.265 up to 4K @ 60 Hz, VP9 Profile 2 up to 4K @ 60 Hz, H.264 up to 4K @ 30 Hz, H.263, MPEG-4 codecs
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 10 x 10 x 1.9 cm
- Weight – 130 grams
The box runs Android 7.1, and ships with the usual HDMI cable, remote control, power adapter, and user manual. GearBest has a video showing the box in action, but they forgot to showcase the key selling point: HDMI input. What we can see is that there’s no Video In, or HDMI In app in the launcher… not really reassuring. But if you can get it for $40, it’s still not a bad deal even if the recording or PiP function may not be working.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.