GPD Win was a Windows 10 portable game console powered by an Intel Cherry Trail processor launched in Indiegogo in early 2016, that managed to raise over $700,000 from nearly 2,300 backers.
The company has been teasing an update for a while now, powered by an Intel Core m3-7Y30 processor with 8GB RAM, a 128GB M.2 SSD, and has just launched it on Indiegogo where it has raised close to $600,000 from almost 1,000 backers in the first few hours.
GPD WIN 2 external design has gone through some tweaks, but it’s mostly the same as the first model except it’s larger with a 6″ instead of 5.5″ and some buttons have been moved around, but the real differences can be found under the hood:
- SoC – Intel Core m3-7Y30 dual core quad thread Kaby Lake processor @ 1.00/2.60 GHz (burst frequency) with 24EU Intel HD graphics 615 @ up to 300/900MHz; 4.5W TDP
- System Memory – 8GB LPDDR3-1866
- Storage – 128 M.2 2242 SSD (replaceable), micro SD card
- Display – 6″ capacitive touch IPS screen; 1280×720 resolution; Corning Gorilla Glass 4; H-IPS technology
- Video Output – micro HDMI 1.4, or DP 1.2 via USB-C port
- Audio – Via micro HDMI, 3.5mm headset jack, built-in microphone and dual speaker
- Connectivity – Dual band WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/ac up to 867 Mbps, and Bluetooth 4.2
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 3.0 type C port with DP Al mode supports
- HID – QWERTY keyboard with DPAD, two ALPS Joysticks (including one acting a mouse when needed), ABXY controls, volume and gaming buttons
- Sensors – Hall effect sensor
- Misc – Power LED, double vibration motor, active cooling (i.e. fan)
- Power Supply – 12V/2A via USB type C port
- Battery – 2x 4,900 mAh Li-Po battery in series, good for 6 to 8 hours
- Dimensions – 162 x 99 x 25 mm
- Weight – 460 grams
The console will ships with a power adapter, a warranty card, and specification sheet. GPD WIN 2 runs Windows 10 Home 64-bit and is said to support AAA games including GTA5, Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft, etc… as long as you run them at low quality settings. Nevertheless, the new GPD Win 2 is a big improvement of GPD Win as framerate often doubles, or even triples in many games.
The company has already sent out beta units, and we already have early reviews such as the one uploaded by The Phawx which discusses performance, thermal design, video output, Linux support, replacing the battery, and so on. Overall a rather positive review. You’ll also find games demo on his channel, as well as Mobimaniak3000 channel.
Intel Core m3 processors are not exactly know for their cheap price, and the doubling/tripling of performance also comes with a doubling of the price, with GPD Win 2 game console going for $599 initially for the first 1,000 units. But that’s now gone and price is now $649. Shipping is planned for May 2018 with free worldwide delivery.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
7 Replies to “GPD WIN 2 is a Handheld Game Console Powered by an Intel Core m3-7Y30 Processor (Crowdfunding)”
GTA5 will run but very laggy (src: Xiaomi Air 12 with same SoC, lowest settings)
Notice price also 😀
@TC That Xiaomi Air 12 only had passive cooling, however GPD Win 2 used active cooling. This meant GPD Win 2 can go full TDP and less thermal throttling. Default TDP setting on GPD Win 2 is actually 7W out-of-the-box! Thus GPD Win 2 should be faster than most devices using the same SoC.
I don’t know. GPD’s quality control is pretty flaky. You’re not sure if you’re going to get a dud or a working device. At $599 and now at $649 (the $899 “retail” price is just a marketing lie), it’s too risky. Good luck to the people who pre-ordered though.
The gemini PDA should have been more like this
should have had an x86 chip instead
Lol, GearBest is wasting no time, they’ve already listed GPD Win 2 on their website: https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_1509189.html?wid=21
GeekBuying have it up for $699.99 which is also cheaper than the $899 “retail” price: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-2-GamePad-Tablet-PC-8GB-128GB-Black-391020.html