In the past, we covered tiny microwave radar modules operating at 5.8 GHz and measuring just 32 x 23 mm. Those modules are normally used to detect motion, distance, and/or direction of movement.
Socionext has now introduced MN87900, a single low-power single-chip 24 GHz radio wave IoT sensor solution that even smaller at just 12x7mm with the chip, Tx and Rx antennas, crystal, and 40-pin to solder the module to your board. The solution targets IoT equipments, security systems, smart home appliances, autonomous vehicles and drones, medical devices, and more.
SocioNext MN87900 key specifications:
- Sensor Type – CW, FSKCW, FMCW (moving or stationary)
- Motion direction – approaching or leaving
- Motion speed – up to 200 km/h
- Range – 0.15 to 8 meters 80°@-3dB, expandable to 30 meters with a radome horn, a metal shield that narrows the field of view.
- Variable frequency width – 24.15±0.1 GHz
- Transmission Power – 0.8mW
- Host Interface – SPI
- Power supply voltage – 2.5V
- Current consumption – 200mA
- Module size – 12mm x 7mm x 1mm
- Weight – 145 mg
- Temperature Range – -40°C to 85°C
The chip is said to offers multi-mode sensing capabilities for detecting stationary or moving objects and measuring the distance and direction of movement, including whether an object is approaching or leaving.
The company also mentions the module can detect very slow movements such as breathing, muscle activity, or heartbeats, and while in continuous operation the MN87900 radar sensor consumes 500mW, it’s possible to use intermittent operation to reduce power requirements. For example, using one-sixth bursts consumes 80 mW. Another advantage highlighted by the company is that the system does not violate privacy since it can detect people, objects and complex activities without using a camera combined with computer vision.
An API is available to make of CW (continuous-wave Doppler), FSKCW (frequency shift keyed continuous wave), and FMCW (frequency-modulated continuous-wave) capabilities to sense distance, direction, and relative velocity information.
The company did not close pricing for the module. You’ll find more technical details on the product page.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|