We’ve previously seen a fair amount of TV boxes / mini PCs based on Rockchip RK3399 processor like Yundoo Y8 or Vorke Z3, which perform very well for tasks like web browsing and gaming, but required more work when it comes to video playback, at least in 2017 when I reviewed the devices.
X99 is another one of those TV boxes with RK3399 SoC, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, HDMI 2.0 output, Gigabit Ethernet, and so on, but interestingly enough it adds a SIM card slot too. The photo above appears to show a modem module close to the SIM card, but somehow none of the website explains which type (2G/3G/4G) of modem that is in X99 TV box specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3399 hexa core processor with 2x ARM Cortex A72 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz, 4x ARM Cortex A53 cores, Mali-T860MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 4GB DDR3
- Storage – 32 GB eMMC flash + SD card slot up to 64GB
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz
- Video Codec – 4K H.265 @ 60 fps, 4K H.264 @ 30 fps & 4K VP9 @ 60 fps
- Audio Output – HDMI, optical S/PDIF
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi + Bluetooth 4.1, SIM card slot
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 port, 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB type C port
- Misc – IR receiver, power LED, recovery button front panel LCD display
- Power Supply – 5V/3A
- Dimensions – 11.40 x 11.40 x 2.30 cm
- Weight – 340 grams
The device runs Android 7.1, and ships with a HDMI cable, a remote control with voice function, a power adapter, and a user’s manual in English.
I could find X99 TV box on GearBest and DX.com starting at $118.99 shipped. DX goes as far as claiming 3G is not supported (“3G Function: No”). However, I really doubt the built-in modem is 2G only, and should support 3G or/and 4G LTE, but we’ll need to wait for somebody to put his/her hands on the device to find out. [Update: GeekBuying lists both X99-4G and X99 models, and the former comes with a 4G modem supporting TD-LTE/FDD-LTE/TD-SCDMA : GSM Band2, GSM Band3, GSM Band8, TD-SCDMA Band34, TD-SCDMA Band39, FDD LTE B1, FDD LTE B3, FDD LTE B8, TD-LTE B38, TD-LTE B39, TD-LTE B40, TD-LTE B41.]