Allwinner is not the only Chinese fabless silicon vendor to offer industrial grade processors, as Rockchip PX3 SE quad core Cortex A7 processor can also operate in the industrial temperature range (-20°C to 80°C).
I had covered Rockchip PX3 previously, but it’s the first time I read about Rockchip PX3-SE processor, and Firefly is the first company to integrate the processor into a product, namely Core-PX3-SEJ system-on-module.
- SoC – Rockchip PX3-SE quad core Cortex A7 processor @ 1.3 GHz with Arm Mali-400MP2 GPU – See datasheet for details
- System Memory – 512MB, 1GB or 2GB dual-channel DDR3
- Storage – 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB eMMC flash
- Edge Connector – 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM connector with
- Storage – Micro SD card interface
- SDIO interface for WiFi & Bluetooth module
- Gigabit Ethernet
- Display – HDMI up to 1080p, CVBS, MIPI DSI or LVDS for LCD display
- Audio – Via HDMI, S/PDIF output, I2S audio input and output
- Camera – 1x DVP camera interface up to 5MP
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host, 1x USB 2.0 OTG
- Other I/Os – 3x UART, 4x PWM, 4x I2C, 3x ADC, 2x SPI, up to 73 GPIOs
- Power Supply – 5V via Rockchip RK816 PMIC
- Dimensions – 67.6 x 40 mm
The Rockchip processor sold support H.265 video decoding and H.264 encoding up to 1080p60. The company provides a firmware image and SDK based on Linux + Qt, which should eventually become available in the product page together with documentation.
Firefly-PX3-SE is a development kit for the SoM including a baseboard with the following specifications:
- SO-DIMM slot for Core-PX3-SEJ module
- External Storage – micro SD card slot
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 2.4GHz 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 via Ampak AP6212 module
- Video Output – HDMI, CVBS output, MIPI or LVDS LCD display interface (via expansion headers)
- Audio – HDMI audio output, stereo audio via 3.5mm CVBS jack, phone jack for input and output, LINE IN jack, 1x optical S/PDIF output, built-in microphone, and I2S in/out via expansion headers
- Camera – DVP interface for 5MP camera (on back of the board)
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB 2.0 OTG port
- Expansion – 2x 42-pin interfaces with access to MIPI, LVDS, PWM, SPI, UART, ADC, GPIO, I2C, I2S
- Debugging – 3-pin debug port (UART)
- Misc – IR receiver, buttons (reset, power, recovery), RTC battery header
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via 4.0/1.7mm power barrel jack
- Dimensions – 117 x 85 mm
The system-on-module can be purchased for $40.00 , but the company does not explain in which configuration, so we should assume 512MB RAM & 4GB storage. The complete Firefly-PX3-SE development kit with the baseboard, one module, an acrylic case with screw set, and a 3dB antenna goes for $60, but again we don’t know which SoM configuration is used…
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
2 Replies to “Firefly Core-PX3-SEJ SoM Features Rockchip PX3-SE Industrial-Grade Processor”
As far as I can see, on the dev. Kits web page, the dev. kit comes without any SoM. Double check before ordering
If you look at the “shipping list” photo, the mainboard is shown with the SoM fitted. But as you said, better double check before ordering.