STMicro STM32 microcontrollers have so far been based on Arm Cortex-M0/M0+, M3, M4, or M7 cores, although we’ve also seen a yet-to-be formally announced Cortex A7 variant show up in Linux 4.17 with STM32MP157C.
The company has very recently announced a new family, namely STM32L5 series, powered by an Arm Cortex-M33 ARMv8-M 32-/64-bit TrustZone enabled core clocked at up to 110 MHz, and equipped with on-chip SMPS for easy low power efficiency, USB FS device, and USB type-C PD Controller.
Two sub-families are part of STM32L5 series:
- STM32L552 with 256 to 512 KB of Flash memory and from 48 to 144-pin packages.
- STM32L562 with 512 KB of Flash memory, and an additional encryption accelerator engine (AES, PKA, and OTFDEC).
Beside the extra HW crypto block both share the same key specifications:
- MCU Core – Arm Cortex-M33 ARMv8-M core clocked at up to 110 MHz (+20% versus Cortex-M4) with FPU, TruztZone
- Memory – 256 KB RAM
- Flash – 256KB to 512KB flash
- ST ART Accelerator – 8 KB of instruction cache allowing 0-wait-state execution from Flash memory and external memories; frequency up to 110 MHz, MPU, 165 DMIPS and DSP instructions
- USB – 1x USB Full Speed interface, 1x USB type-C
- Analog-to-digital converter (ADC)
- 2x 12-bit power-gated digital-to-analog converters (DAC)
- 2x ultra-low-power comparators
- 2x operational amplifiers with external or internal follower routing and programmable-gain amplifier (PGA) capability.
- USART, SPI, I2C, CAN-FD
- 16- and 32-bit timers
- SAI + audio PLL
- Capacitive touch sensing
- Security – Arm TrustZone, flexible software isolation, secure boot, key storage, and hardware cryptographic accelerators
- Power Features / Consumption
- Operating Voltage – 1.71 to 3.6 V
- Embedded SMPS step down converter (optional)
- UCPD controller compliant with USB Type-C Rev. 1.2 and USB Power Delivery Rev. 3.0 specifications.
- Power consumption numbers:
- 33 nA in shutdown mode
- 3.6 µA in stop mode with full SRAM and peripheral states retention with 5µs wake-up time
- Down to 60 µA/MHz in active mode
- EEMBC ULPBench: 402 ULPMark-CP score
- Packages – LQFP48, QFN48, LQFP64, WLCSP81, LQFP100, UFBGA132 and LQFP144
- Temperature Range – Standard temperature grade for consumer and commercial applications, or high-temperature grade specified from -40°C to 125°C for challenging environments
STM32L5 series MCUs are sampling now, mass production should start in Q2 2019. The company is also showcasing their new microcontrollers at Arm TechCon 2018 until October 18. More details – but no documentation yet – can be found on the product page.
Thanks to Lucas for the tip
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|